ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Answers!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:34 pm 

My daughter had a complete STD screening including herpes.
(total cost at a gynecologist $2,000)

How reliable are her negative results? The last time she had sex with her BF was the first week of Nov. The tests were done December 21.
Our doctor says 6 weeks is enough time.

Which tests, if any, should we have redone?

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:28 pm 

The time to develop antibodies varies greatly from one case to another. Some infected people will seroconvert (develop detectable antibodies) within 2 or 3 weeks, but a few may take months. The general advice is that one should wait for at least 12 weeks before a negative result is something like 98% reliable.

I can't answer for the other tests. Jessi??

Post subject: CONFUSED
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:18 pm 

Ok, since the test results might not be reliable, is it safe to assume since the last (possible) exposure was early Nov. and it is now late Feb. and no symptoms that she does not have herpes?

Question. From intial contact to first outbreak, what is the timeline?

The ex-BF claims to have been tested and found neg. for everything prior to their relationship. However, I am a compulsive worrier.

I just need some answers so I can sleep at night. My doctor is no use since she says 6 weeks is enough time for all the tests.

Once more, is there any other tests, if any, that need to be redone?

We will have to go to the health dept. since my insurance will not pay for another round this soon.

Is the health dept. tests as accurate as the ones done at the doctor's office. They are not as expensive, so is there any difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:24 am 

she should get tested within the next 3-6 months and at least once a year after that!!! and i'd go to the heath department or planned parenthood, something like that because a lot of places will do the testing free and it will be reliable. She needs to have all the tests redone! Being tested after six week was good but she need to keep being tested because somethings can stay dormant in the system for some time before showing symptoms or not show symptoms at all. Keep getting tested! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 am 

To answer your question about why it's cheaper at a health department or Planned Parenthood, the answer is that both receive governmental funds and private donations to help offset the cost to you. Your private gynecologist does not receive any such donations.

I agree with what someone else mentioned that she should be checked 3-6 months after the most recent sexual encounter and then again every year. For example, with HIV, the test looks for antibodies to the virus. In over 90% of people (I think the exact number is 96%, but I do not remember for sure) develop antibodies within 3 months of contracting the virus, but the rest of the population take up to six months. These means that six months after the encounter, if she is still negative, then she did not contract the virus.

Other STIs, such as HPV, can take longer to develop symptoms, or may never develop any symptoms at all, and the body's immune system will treat it on its own.

Hope this helps!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]