ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:52 pm 

Hi, I just recently had test for STD's and Pap. I have tested positive for high risk HPV, which is cause of cervical cancer.
I have to have colposcopy, It is going to cost $500. for procedure incl. lab fees. Does anyone know if this is good price. I know there is know price to put on health, but I have no insurance and have to pay out of pocket and have spent 3000 this year on dental fillings and vet bills for my parents dog. I am struggling.
Also does anyone know if this HPV stays with you for life? I am pretty sure it does, but all the websites get confusing, because there are something like 70 to 300 or more diff. strains, I don't think the one I have causes genital warts. I don't have the warts.
Thanks for any help. Hope i made sense I am a little in shock and sad right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:11 pm 

I dont' know about prices, but ask your doc about assistance programs that might help with this.

You might also qualify for a free clinic. Call your local health dept and ask about their services.

Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:43 pm 

Hi Faith.

I don't know about prices either. Especially since I'm lucky enough to have insurance, so not too sure about how much these things can generally cost. I think jessi has some good advice there on contacting your local free clinics to see if they can't assist you.

As for the virus, from what I've been told by my doctor (and what I've read) it will always be there. Sure, your body can fight it off, but then there's always that chance it could show back up. I've read/heard lots of people liken it to a cold/flu virus. You can get sick with a cold/flu, but eventually your body does fight it off. However, you can still possibly get sick again. The virus goes dormant I guess. Many people can successfully fight it off, and never, ever have it show up again. Then other people either continue to deal with it after years, and/or have it pop up again down the road. Just have to make sure that you keep up with your annual paps to be sure. I've also read a lot of people say that it's good to try to keep your health up. Like eating better and taking vitamins. Helps your body fight it. Plus, it's also recommended if you're a smoker to quit asap. That won't help you.

Hang in there. Hopefully you'll find some assistance to help lessen the medical bills, and you can get yourself taken care of.

Post subject: test
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:24 pm 

Go to the health department!! They will let you know if you qualify. Call your local Health Department and tell them what is going on, they have grants for different health issues such as cervical cancer and breast cancer programs. There should be a number for a prevention office in your area. you need that test immediatly, do not wait.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]