ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tested for Chlamydia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:05 pm 

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me understand why I was tested for Chlamydia and Gonnorhea at my woman's annual exam without the Nurse Practitioner informing me or asking me. I had gone to a new doctor, initially for lower back pain (a sprain from playing sports). The doctor informed me I could also have a Pap done by his Nurse Practitioner. Ok, fine, one stop shopping is fine with me. I'm over 30, have had one boyfriend in the last 5 years, have never been promiscuous, and consider myself pretty low risk. I realize even low risk people can get an STI and if they would have approached me with the "just to be safe" message, it would have been fine. found out when I received a lab bill in the mail. Don't get me wrong. I am really thankful to be healthy, but these tests cost quite a bit of money and I think there should be an open discussion about any tests being run. Also, the thing that really irks me is that they would assume lower back pain = STD's. No one asked me for a urine sample to check for UTI's or kidney function. The whole thing has made me feel violated (not offended because I don't judge other peoples choices), but just kind of like the whole thing was cloaked in secrecy because I might have objected. Is it just standard now days to screen for these with a new patient? Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi swissmissbb,

Chlamydia testing is recommended routinely for all sexually active women under 25, and for women over 25 with risk factors such as new partners, multiple partners, and so on. Given that, I'm not sure why you were given the tests you mentioned, so you'll probably just have to ask them directly if they do STD testing by default, or if specific things in a patient's profile trigger it.

Wish I could help more. If you do find out anything and don't mind giving an update, I'd appreciate hearing what you learn.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:06 am 

Hi Fredo, thanks for the response. Yeah, that is the same information I found doing my own web research. I also found that it's usually not the best idea to test a low risk asymptomatic woman as it increases the possiblility of a false-positive result (although I am fortunate that this did not happen in my case). I haven't heard anything yet from the doctor who ordered my tests, but I will certainly share any new information I receive.

Thanks,
Swissmiss

PS Hope everyone on the boards is having a good night tonight and don't beat yourself if you caught something. It could happen to anyone but it doesn't always. Doesn't mean you were singled out. Hold your chin up high and treat yourself with respect.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]