ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:19 pm 

Hello. This is the first time I've ever gotten help on health issues from a message board, nonetheless from this one.

Last night, I had unprotected sex with a partner that I've always had protected sex with (I know, not smart). I've had unprotected sex before, and I always get regular pap tests and test for EVERYTHING possible. The first partner I've had unprotected sex with I've known for almost 7 years, and I got Plan B immediately afterwards. I didn't have any symptoms or problems with it. I always get regular pap tests and get tested for all possible STDs/STIs, including HIV. From the letters that my doctor has sent me, all my results have come back negative.
The second partner I had unprotected sex with told me the last time he had sex was 2 months ago, and the last time I had sex was about that same time. I asked him if he used condoms, and he told me he did. He also said that he gets checked and tested ever 6 months. He has told me that before.
I'm on the Pill, and I take it every day, generally in the same time window (between 7:45 a.m. and 8 a.m.). Should I still be concerned? I just don't want to be freaking out so much that I stress myself out more than I am now. I'm already stressed out by the hospitalization of a family member. I also just had a pap test in January of 2008, which was negative.

Sorry that was so long. I hope I can get an answer. Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Good Morning lcg842! :D

I'm hearing a great deal of stress from this post but I'm having a difficult time trying to decipher what your major concern is. Is it STDs, specifically the Human Papiloma Virus (since you're mentioning your negative Pap tests) or pregnancy?

Let's address the pregnancy first. If you're on the pill and taking it regularly, it's not terribly likely you could have gotten pregnant.

As for HPV, there's always some risk because most people who have don't know it. However, it's impossible to know if either of the partners you mentioned have it. By the information you're giving, it does sound like the chances are high they DON'T have others STDs.

It might be a good idea to monitor your stress levels first. If you're intensely worried about these sexual encounters, perhaps talking to a counselor or your doctor could help. The next best thing you can do is have a yearly Pap (like you're doing) and continue using protection like you've been doing.

Take care,
Dharma

Post subject: Thank You
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:20 am 

Thanks so much for writing back. I went to a sexual health clinic, and talked over the topic regarding pregnancy on the Pill, and both the nurse at the clinic and you are saying the exact same thing: that it is very unlikely for me to become pregnant.

I am absolutely addressing the added stresses in my life at this point with a counselor.

I'm definitely monitoring the STD situation carefully and I will be contacting my primary care physician to make sure I get the HPV vaccine BEFORE my next birthday (I'm 25 now). However, I FULLY understand that the vaccine is no substitute for annual pap tests.

Thanks so much for your time and for replying back to me. My nerves are starting to calm down now a bit. :D

Post subject: Re: Thank You
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:57 am 
Site Admin

lcg842 wrote:
Thanks so much for your time and for replying back to me. My nerves are starting to calm down now a bit. :D

Excellent. I'm very glad to hear this. It sounds like it'll all be okay.

Dharma :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]