ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:58 pm 

i was treated six months ago for chlamydia with generic doxycylin and later azithromycin and levoflox. 6 months later, i tested again just in case. By the way, I have had no sex during this period. Urethral swab still shows antigen (+) and Ig A (+). I can understand Ig A being positive because it takes awhile to come down, but urethral swab shows antigen positive kind of confuses me. from the reading i have done, antigen test for chlamydia is quite sensitive and specific. they have restarted doxycline and levofloxacin again. but if it did not work the first time, why would it work this time?

sorry the message is quite long, but thanks again for all the kind help you all have provided

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Admin

scaredcat wrote:
i was treated six months ago for chlamydia with generic doxycylin and later azithromycin and levoflox. 6 months later, i tested again just in case. By the way, I have had no sex during this period. Urethral swab still shows antigen (+) and Ig A (+). I can understand Ig A being positive because it takes awhile to come down, but urethral swab shows antigen positive kind of confuses me. from the reading i have done, antigen test for chlamydia is quite sensitive and specific. they have restarted doxycline and levofloxacin again. but if it did not work the first time, why would it work this time?

sorry the message is quite long, but thanks again for all the kind help you all have provided

Scaredcat,

What has happened to you is not typical. Most people do rid themselves of chlamydia with the prescriptions you noted. What explanation did your doctor give you?
There may have been other factors that (possibly) interfered with the meds. Were you taking other meds at the time? Have you asked your doctor about another course of antibiotics?

Dharma

Post subject: doc says do nothing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm 

the family doctor says it's likely false positive and did nothing. still, it worries me. another doctor started treatment again because he says to be safe. so I am on doxycyclin(nongeneric) and levofloxacine just in case. However, I was on both before already. if they were resistnat before, then what is the point using it again. aren't there other options besides doxycyline, levofloxacine and azithromycin?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]