ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oral infection
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:54 am 

I recently was kissing a very lovely boy my age (early 20's) And a few days later i noticed myself getting symptoms of a oral infection, and since then, have used my saliva as lubricant in masturbation (without thinking).

Now i have a UTI and a killer sore throat...could it be chlymida or something?
what are my treatment options, and how do i tell my girlfriend without comming across like a total crap bag? I mean, while we have a open relationship when it comes to mild kissing and such, oral to oral std's are rare and i'd like to get a few facts on it before i talk with her.

Post subject: Re: Oral infection
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi Taken,

Chlamydia is not transmitted through kissing or masterbation.

For clarification: During oral sex, it is possible but unlikely for chlamydia to be transmitted while performing or receiving fellatio and, even less so, while performing cunnilingus or anilingus. Transmission is not known to occur through receiving cunnilingus or anilingus. Chlamydia is less likely to be transmitted during oral sex because the bacteria that cause chlamydia prefer to target the genital area rather than the throat.

You should probably see a doctor before you tell your girlfriend you have something that you can't get the way you described. Have you thought about your sore throat being caused by a common cold?

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:00 am 

i have, i guess, i just have a basic amount of ingrained paranoia.

What about other diseases being passed through kissing, like gonorrea?

What really concerns me is the UTI in all honestly, why would i have one now of all times...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 am 

and if i'm undergoing antibiotics, can i still pass something like gonorrhea or some other bacteria to my partner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Taken,

You CANNOT get chlamydia and gonorrhea through mouth to mouth kissing.

You may want to check with your doctor about what you think is a urinary tract infection. If it is, you can get it treated. But remember: people get UTIs every day and they aren't always related to having sex.

What you're describing is just not consistent with how people get those infections and UTIs.

Dharma

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Taken wrote:
and if i'm undergoing antibiotics, can i still pass something like gonorrhea or some other bacteria to my partner.

Not likely but it depends on how long you were on the antibiotics before you were intimate with a partner. Example: if you started taking them an hour ago and had sex with your partner 2 minutes ago, you can probably give your partner any bacterial infection you're being treated for (or that you actually have).

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm 

Thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:30 pm 

okay, one last question, even if i did have a STI such as the clap or chlamydia, wouldn't the treatment of antibiotics for my UTI take care of it either way?

Also, could e-coli be the cause of both a sore throat and a UTI?

I'm mainly asking these questions for peace of mind, and i know my paranoia isn't warranted, however, i can't seem to stop this neurosis until i have at least a few answers to calm my nerves.

thank you again for your patience.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Taken wrote:
okay, one last question, even if i did have a STI such as the clap or chlamydia, wouldn't the treatment of antibiotics for my UTI take care of it either way?

Very likely so.

Taken wrote:
Also, could e-coli be the cause of both a sore throat and a UTI?

Possibly but not likely to cause the sore throat.

Taken wrote:
I'm mainly asking these questions for peace of mind, and i know my paranoia isn't warranted, however, i can't seem to stop this neurosis until i have at least a few answers to calm my nerves.

A lot of people react to recent sexual activity in a similar way that you are. Some of them tell us later that they were diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Have you thought about talking to your doctor about your fears, Taken?

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:32 pm 

i think about it a lot. Though i'm never quite sure what it is i'm in need of exactly.

is there anything out there that can get me a direction? I have ideas, but no funds (story of my life).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]