ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:13 am 

Ok, long story short, I was with this girl and we had unprotected vaginal and oral sex. We were together everyday for over a week and had about 2 to 3 sexual contacts a day. Towards the end of the first week I noticed a slight burning when I urinated, the next day is was really burning and painful. There was no white or yellow discharge, just a bit of clear discharge, not a lot, had to open the head of my penis to really see it. Also there was sometimes blood in my urine, not a whole lot, just an occasional drop after I was done urinating. I went to the doctor and had a blood and swab test for gonorrhea and syphilis, both were negative, and also a urinary tract infection was ruled out. She told me it might have been kidney stones since I had some pain in my lower back and sides as well. I was given medication and within 2 days the burning was almost gone, and after 3 or 4 days it was completely gone. I'm going for my HIV test tomorrow, I waited the 3 months to make sure, and up until now I wasn't worried. I can't help but to shake the feeling that it wasn't kidney stones and something else, just seems like a coincidence to me. My partner was tested shortly after my symptoms and she also came back negative for everything, including HIV. So should I be extra worried about tomorrows test? I know the chance is there from the contact, but do my symptoms from 3 months ago sound like something HIV related? I'm freaking out now.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kyle,

I'm glad you posted and will try to provide you with all the information you need. Could you tell me what in this has you thinking about HIV?

HIV does not manifest as burning upon urination or pain in your lower back. When one gets HIV, initially it can be flu like symptoms. Then, typically, (if one was infected) years can go by before people start having symptoms from a depleted immune system. None of what you've related here makes me think HIV has anything to do with your symptoms.

If your partner tested negative at that time, it means she was not infected 3 months before she took that test. So, if you test negative tomorrow, it means you didn't get it 3 months ago or anytime before that. It'll also mean you can relax about HIV. :D

Sometimes when there is pain in the genitals, we want to jump on the STD bandwagon. Although that's a good thought, it's not always the cause. Sometimes just the fact that there was a lot of sex and friction can be the cause.

Let me know how your test went and if you have other questions, okay?

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:19 am 

Just one question actually. What could it have been that I had then? I just can't believe it was kidney stones since it was so recent after having unprotected sex, and I had no actual stones in the strainer I was given to urinate through. Is there some sort of general infection guys can get from too much sex like I described? I thought STD immediately since burning while urinating is a common symptom, and I know UTIs in men are kind of rare. Again, this condition happening shortly after unprotected sex had me worrying big time. So what could it have been if it wasn't kidney stones, wasn't a UTI, and not a STD either? I've had sex in this amount before unprotected with exgirlfriends, and never once did I ever have anything even close to this. Thanks for the reply and I'll post up tomorrow what happened.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Admin

kyle12345 wrote:
Just one question actually. What could it have been that I had then?

Kyle,

Kidney stones don't usually cause burning without some other infection -like a urethritis. Also, if this had anything to do with kidney stones, you would probably still have the stones. They don't usually self-resolve without some medical intervention.

If you were given a general antibiotic, it may have gotten rid of anything bacterial that you had. However, there are any number of things, including irritation caused by friction, that may have caused your symptoms.

As long as you've tested negative for everything at this point, you should be able to move on. Really, stuff happens and we're not always going to know why.

I hope this helps,
Dharma

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:31 am 

Got my HIV test finished today, negative...thank goodness.

Well I guess thats it then, thinking back I guess the irritation could have been from too much friction. I recall a few times where penetration was a bit dry and raw for the first few minutes. In any case thanks for the speedy responses, much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:56 pm 

Glad your hiv test was negative :) Hopefully now you can just chalk it up to a who in the heck knows what went on and move on now. I know if I suddenly was getting a lot of sex for a week I'd be a bit of a hurtin' pup too ;)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]