ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions & Concerns
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:51 pm 

It's been two days since i performed unprotected oral sex with a guy. I've never done this kind of thing before. I've been in a happy monogomis relationship for a number of years. This was just a stupid thing I did in a weak moment of experimentation.

Since then, I've been really concerned about contracting an STI. So concerned that I may be hypersensitive to what my body is telling me. I have what I would descibe as a minor burning type sensation in my penis. There is no pain or burning during urination. It could easily be a UTI type of thing and just a coincidence. It started within 12 to 16 hours after my encounter and has persisted since. No discharge or anything like that. But I do feel minor discomfort and fullness in my lower abdomen. I will likely get tested. But I fear it may be to early to tell anything.

Can you get STI symptoms so quickly after possible contact? And, how long should you wait before you get tested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 pm 

Usually a sti doesn't show symptoms that quickly. That said - normal mouth flora isn't always so normal in the genital area. You can get infections from receiving oral sex that aren't considered a sti. The best thing to do is follow up with your provider and give a urine sample and get an exam.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:37 am 

Thanks for your response. Just to be clear, I performed oral sex and did not recieve it.

How long should I wait to be tested? And what would the accuracy rate be for various forms of STI tests should I choose to be tested today or as early as next week?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Mrtom,

I'm not sure I understand this correctly. I've reread both of your posts a few times so feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.

If you performed oral sex (and did not receive it) yet your symptoms are in your penis, it's not likely to be an STI. Usually you get symptoms of an STI in the area that came in contact with the other person.

If you had a different exposure from another relationship, you could be tested for STI's now. Could you be feeling some anxiety about the actual incident and it's manifesting as a fear about an STI???

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am 

Dharma, thank you for answering. You understood my posts correctly.

Until further research this weekend, and confirmed by your last post, I did not understand that the infection would be localized to the area where it would have been transmitted.

As I understand it now, if I had contracted any of the bacterial STIs or HSV1, my symptoms would be localized in the throat or mouth and the infection would not travel thoughout the body.

My risk is low for most STI's, and almost non-existant for HIV, but still possible, and I should still get checked. I've had no other risky contact other that what I have described.

You are correct that my issue appears to be one of anxiety more than anything else.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:51 am 

Ok, so at two weeks after my encounter, I got tested thru tSTD. My results came back negative for everything except Herpes 1. No suprise there as I have had a few coldsores in the past.

Since tSTD doesn't do throat cultures, I went to the County testing facility to get that done.

I understand that I am at a very low risk for HIV since my only risky contact was to give oral sex. Most experts seem to say that I shouldn't even worry about it, but I do.

I also understand that I should be retested for HSV 2 in a couple of months just to be sure. HIV wouldn't hurt either.

What I don't understand are two things. The nurse practitioner at the clinic said that they don't test for clamydia with throat cultures because they are too hard to test for. If that is the case, how would I ever know if I have it?

Second, my RPR for syphilis was non-reactive. Can I rely on this test to be conclusive, or should I get tested again in the future just to be sure. The tSTD counselor said I don't need to re-test for syphilis, but the nurse practitioner thought I should.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Through all that we have discussed here, I don't see a need to continue testing for anything. :D
Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:57 pm 

While I am very happy to hear that Dharma, could you explain why you feel this way?

Thanks!

ps. Hopefully my throat culture comes back negative. I should get the results tommorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:24 am 
Site Admin

MrTom,

Your risk was pretty low for all of the STDs to begin with. Although you can get chlamydia in the mouth, it's not often we see this occuring. The only STD that seems reasonable for a retest is HSV. However, since you've said that a lot of this is about anxiety from the event, I'm wondering if it wouldn't serve you better to talk with a counselor about this?

If you test negative for everything all within the time frames that negate any infection, will you feel relaxed about the exposure and feel ready to live a normal daily life?

Dharma

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]