ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:50 pm 

I have had a recurring BV infection for almost 2 months. :cry: I am starting to go crazy! I have tried Clindesse twice and Metrogel once. I also have had 2 yeast infections in the interim. I don't know what else to do. I have gone back to my gyn 3 times but the infection is not going away.
This is the first time that I have ever had a BV infection.

I thought it had cleared up once after the Metrogel but after sex with my husband, it came back. Is this something that I could have infected him with and he is now passing it back to me? It is really putting a damper on my sex life and is affecting our relationship. I don't know what else to do.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi Morgan,

This sounds pretty stressful for you. I'll try to help as much as I can.

You didn't mention if your husband has been tested and/or treated through all of this because, as you noted, the ping-pong scenario is quite possible. Often when a woman has a bacterial infection, her doctor can treat both partners or the doctor can refer her partner to another doctor for treatment.

The recurrent yeast infections can happen when you take antibiotics as they tend to get rid of the "good" bacteria that normally keeps yeast in check.

So, if you haven't already, check with your doctor about having your spouse treated - and please feel free to let us know how this worked out.

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:46 am 

actually there is no clinical difference in recurrences in bv in the female when you also treat her male partner. It's not recommended to treat the male partner when the female has bv - even when it's frequently reoccuring bv.

How has your provider been testing you for bv? If they are looking at your vaginal secretions under the microscope - ask them if you have "enough" of the "good" lactobacillus bacteria too. If you are lacking protective "good" bacteria there is a product I can recommend for you.

You also might get some benefit from your partner wearing condoms if you don't already. The ph of sperm can throw of the ph of our vaginas enough that vaginitis can continue to be an issue.

Bv can really suck sometimes :( Also sometimes treating it can just trigger the ph to go the other way and you get yeast and sometimes it's just a tricky cycle to get out of. You can also ask your provider to look into some long term bv treatments and perhaps ask them to do a pubmed search on some of the newest recomendations on treating bv with more than one medication at a time too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]