ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:27 pm 

I do not believe that the tests done when blood is donated (as American Red Cross) gives answers needed in regard to STI's (or STD's).

My ex boyfriend had assured me that he was "tested" regularly. After I contracted HSV2 from him, I was informed that he was expecting the tests done on regularly donated blood to keep him informed about any STD's.

Here I go again. I refuse to be intimate with this very nice man, until I see the results of testing. He insists that the Red Cross tests his blood and will inform him if he has an STD.

I do not believe it. Where can I get the correct info to prove these guys wrong....?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi Guest330,

Here is a link to the tests that Red Cross performs on donated blood.
http://www1.givebloodgivelife.org/medical/testing/

It is a grave mistake for anyone to believe that donating blood is a good way to be tested for STDs.

First, even when one goes to an STD clinic and asks for an STD screening, very often, herpes tests are NOT included. That is a specific test that many test sites consider too expensive to perform. Red Cross does NOT test for herpes because it is not transmitted through the blood. Herpes is a virus that is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact only.

Red Cross does test for HIV-1, HIV-2, hepatitis and syphilis. However, their priority is to make certain they do not give tainted blood to patients. They are NOT a test site for STDs. They may or may not get back to blood donators when their blood tests positive for anything.

I hope the link helps!

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm 

Thank you Dharma, The question may seem to be foolish, but if the two intelligent men can be completely convinced regarding the safety of relying on blood donations to moniter STI's; that must be many others with the same idea.

Your answer is simple and very clear. I will pass it on and keep a copy for myself, for future referance.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin

You asked a great question. It's pretty common for people to believe they are up to date on STD testing because they gave blood.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]