ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: HIV Testing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:58 am 

My only sexual exposure was one contact in 2004. There was no intercourse, no oral sex. Only skin to skin contact. He did not ejaculate on my genitals. I have never been with any other man and never had actual intercourse. It was a really stupid mistake on my part!

In January I was diagnosed with HPV and last week I was diagnosed with HSV-2. On the up side, at least I know who I contracted it from. I was also tested for HIV and Hepatitis C at the same time and the tests came back negative.

It has been 4 years since the intimacy occured. I am concerned as to what the incubation period is for HIV and Hepatitis C. As well, if there was no penetration and only a couple of kisses, what is the likelihood of eventually being diagnosed with HIV or HEP C? Also, what is the protocal on how long I need to continue being tested for HIV and Hep C?

Post subject: Re: HIV Testing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dumbmistake,

Welcome to our message boards and I'm glad you posted. :D

I have some great news for you. First of all, by what you described, I don't see that you were even exposed to HIV or HepC to begin with.

However, your test results from that exposure indicate you were NOT infected 4 years ago. Anytime you take a test 6 months or later from your last exposure, HIV infection is ruled out. Antibody tests for HepC are recommended for 12 months (which you still have 3 years on). Now that it's 4 years later, you can feel good about those results.

What kind of HPV were you diagnosed with? Do you know that it can self-resolve in your body? You may already be clear of HPV by now, too. Also, are you having regular outbreaks with HSV?

Let me know what's happening, okay?

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 am 

It does give me a reassurance to know that if nothing shows positive at a 4 year mark, then I am probably safe from HIV and HepC. I know I will certainly be sleeping better tonight than I have the last few night.

Emotionally, I guess I am kind of so-so right now. I am still in shock that I allowed all this to happen. ME! The Sunday School teacher, the 46 year old virgin that made a committment to herself and God that she would remain sexually pure until marriage....how could I ever allow myself to be so reckless with my health; my life!. I am not a stupid woman. I went to college. I have a good job, a nice home and a family that loves me. Allowing one night of indicretion could have destroyed everything! I am allowing myself a few days to grieve, then I will pull up my boot straps and move on.

My HPV was diagnosed in January during my routine PAP. I don't at this point remember the type but she mentioned that it was the kind that can progress into cervical cancer. I went in for my colposcopy and the results came back fine. I am to have my second one in July. Over all I am healthy and my doctor says the HPV could very well clear up (or become dormant) and never cause any problems. At the time all this was happening I asked her if I should be tested for any other STDs. She advised that since I was not sexually active now, was not experiencing any symptoms, not planning a pregnancy and not a IV drug user, that it is really not necessary. If any of those mentioned circumstances were to change I should get blood work done.

........Then about 3 weeks ago I gave my friend her weekly allergy shot. When I recapped the needle, which I know to never do....I pricked my finger. Because I went to nursing school and worked in then nursing field for a few years, I knew I needed to follow the exposure protocal. The next day I had an exposure panel of blood work done. It was via this blood work that the HSV-2 was diagnosed. I have never had any outbreak of any kind so it really shocked me!

Again, as I am not sexually active and not experiencing any outbreaks, we opted for no medication. I am not one prone to take anything unless it is absolutely necessary.

That is my story. I am disappointed in myself, but I also recognize I am not expected to be perfect. I am very grateful for my good health and am continuing to take care of myself; mind body and soul!

Thank you for your kind response and for allowing me to rattle on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:56 am 

Can you please get the numeric results for your hsv2 blood test and post them either here or on the hsv board here? Your risk was so incredibly low risk that this might be a false positive hsv2 result so if I can see your actual results I can better help you figure out if you need additional confirmatory testing or not.

betsy

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Dumbmistake,

Betsy is our resident HSV total expert. So, if you want more detailed HSV testing information, she's our gal. I do, however, wonder why they gave you an HSV test for an exposure panel. I've never heard of anyone getting HSV through a needle stick.

One of the many good things about your story is that you are not experiencing regular herpes outbreaks. :D

As for the HPV, just go for an annual PAP each year so your doctor can keep abreast of any problems that could occur. I'm sure you and he/she have had this conversation.

Last, please don't be disappointed in yourself for being a human being and wanting to be intimate with another human being. It IS a basic need. Eventually, most of us succumb to the need to feel loved. In the end, it's all part of life.

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:28 pm 

Thanks for the assistance, Betsy. I am happy to share the results.

The Herpes Simplex Type 2 shows out of range at 3.16 EIA value.
In the explanation is says, ">1.10 is Positive - HSV-1 or HSV-2 IGG Antibody detected".

Any ideas or suggestions? I could certainly use some good news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:34 am 

Your hsv2 result is still within the false positive range. because of your incredibly low risk - I recommend further testing. A herpes biokit hsv2 igg blood test or a herpes WB blood test would be the best bet to confirm your hsv2 status.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]