ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trichomonas test shock!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:14 pm 

My wife recently went for a routine pap smear, and tested positive for trichomonas. We were both treated with Flagyl simultaneously, but never did have symptoms. I have been absolutely monogamous for our 32 years of marriage, and am 99.999% sure she has too. Of course, the assumption of my wife is that I have been unfaithful, and the doctor is of no help. Please help.
Living in hell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:23 am 

i am feeling positive that you can get this from something other than sex.
i have been married 4 years and my husband and i are trying to conceive our first child. i just had a pap smear and yesterday found out i have trich.
i was in SHOCK too, especially after googling it and finding some docs claiming it's only contracted sexually. i know ive been 100% faithful the entire 8 years we've been together. I absolutely 100% do not think my husband has cheated on me. so that leaves no other way but something other than sex.
it's awful, and confusing. my doctor said you can get it from a wet towel or from sharing a bathing suit, or even from toilet seat somehow.

my husband and i had the one-time dose of Flagyl yesterday. how long did you guys have to wait to have sex again? we're trying to have a child, so we don't want to wait long. we were told 24 hours the antibiotic kicks in.

thoughts?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Admin

MomBy09 wrote:
i am feeling positive that you can get this from something other than sex.
thoughts?

You're exactly right.

I have a personal friend who is family physician and she sees a lot of female patients who test positive for trichomoniasis. She says a lot of those women aren't in relationships and many who are - are certain their spouses are faithful. She's convinced that a lot of women are getting it through non-sexual transmission.
I am, too.

Even our own information states that one can get trich from a wet towl or bathing suit. I'm certain there are other ways as well.

I hope this helps. :D

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:53 pm 

hi,
I was reading your post and wanted to know what type of syptoms you were noticing and also how did your doc know that you needed to take that test?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Nearly half of women and almost all men are asymptomatic.

Symptoms for women:
Nearly one-third of asymptomatic women will become symptomatic within 6 months.

Profuse, "frothy" discharge that may be either yellowish/greenish or gray in color with strong odor; tiny spots of blood may be seen in the discharge.

Vaginal itching, irritation and inflammation.

Inflamed cervix with ulcerations (called "strawberry" cervix).

Some women may experience pain during vaginal intercourse or painful urination.

Less commonly, women experience abdominal pain or increased frequency of urination.

Though trichomoniasis may be self-resolving in men, it would be considered extremely rare for it to self-resolve in women.

Symptoms are reported to be more severe during or immediately following menstrual period.

Symptoms may vary from an asymptomatic state to profound, acute inflammation. Changes in the vaginal environment (e.g., menstrual blood, hormonal levels, other organisms, etc.) may contribute to the development of symptoms.

Other STIs can cause similar symptoms, such as HSV, chlamydia and gonorrhea (vaginal or urethral discharge).

MEN are often asymptomatic but when they do have symptoms they include:

Slight urethral irritation

Small amount of abnormal and possibly intermittent discharge

Itching, redness inside or on penis.

Urethritis (a possible cause of NGU)

Genital sores (very rare)

Rarely, frequent and/or painful urination.

Trichomoniasis in men is often self-resolving (possibly the result of certain properties found in fluid from the prostate). This may take many weeks, and therefore, there is continued risk of transmission to partners until infection clears).

Other STIs can cause similar symptoms, such as HSV, chlamydia and gonorrhea (vaginal or urethral discharge).

I hope this helps!
Dharma

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]