ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just find out having HPV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:00 pm 

Hi, I am 50 and haven't had sex for many years until 2 years ago I had sex with my friend, without condom. We stopped after a few times. My regular pap test was fine. A month ago I had sex again with someone, also without condom. I had my pap test due again and this time the pap is fine but test HPV positive. Can the virus shows up so quick, less than a month? Can I tell if I contracted from the recent man , or the one two years ago?
I am not planning to have any sex right now. But if I am lucky, after it's cleared, will I still infect anyone who have sex with me? Do I have to tell him I had HPV before even though it's cleared? Is there anything I can do besides just waiting for the virus to go away? Please help!!!

Bren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bren,

Is this the first HPV test you've ever had? Let me explain. A Pap test is NOT a test for HPV. The Pap just looks for abnormal cell growth on your cervix - not HPV. So, it's possible you could have gotten the HPV from any partner you've ever had.
You might want to go with what you feel comfortable with in telling your partner. The virus should self absolve in your body within a few years but there's no exact time frame because every pereson is different.

Dharma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:26 am 

I have HPV as well- I found out while i was in a committed relationship and realize- either of it could have contracted it some time back and not have known about it. I am now seperated from this person and my delema now is that I'm afraid no one will ever want me now that I have an STD :cry: Also I've been told that the virus NEVER goes away- now I'm seeing things that say your immune system can fight it. Also I feel that if I do have "relations" with someone new they have the right to know! Yet- I just don't know how to tell them AND I thought that it's something that never went away

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]