ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Free STD testing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 am 

This sucks.

I was raped about a year and a half ago, and know that I should have been tested right away. I've just been really afraid to admit to it, or something. Anyway, I haven't been feeling right for a while now, and I'm finally able to buckle down and get myself to go.

I just graduated from college, I'm unemployed, I don't have health insurance, and I live 1800 miles away from my family, and I have no idea where to go. This isn't something I feel comfortable talking about with my parents, and I can't afford to spend much. As it is, I can barely afford food and I can't cover rent on my own.

I need to find a free clinic, but I've heard lots of them are shady. I don't know how to find one.

And, once I do get tested, and if I do have something, I don't think I could afford treatment.

This is a really scary situation for me ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Hi qwerty,

Thanks for your post. You've been through so much! You might get in touch with Planned Parenthood to see what services they offer in your area: http://www.ppfa.org. If they don't offer what you're looking for, ask if they might refer you somewhere that does. Also, we can search for clinics in your area by ZIP code, which you can send to us at info@ashastd.org if interested.

I'd suggest you also get in touch with the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN). They offer wonderful resources for support and healing. They have an online hotline at http://apps.rainn.org/ohl-bridge/

Hopefully this will get you started but if you run into dead ends, let us know. Please post anytime and check in, if you don't mind, to let us know how you are.

Take care!
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 pm 

Wow, qwerty, you've been through a lot. I feel the not having health insurance and barely scraping by. Not only have you just graduated from college and are looking for work, which is really difficult, you're far away from your family, and you've got a traumatic event in your recent past.

Sexual assaults of any kind are extremely difficult, and they take a long, long time to heal. The best way to get through it is with support. Fredo is right; RAINN is a great place to get started. You might also look in your phone book for a page with a title something like "Human Services Guide." This lists lots of services available in your community, from housing to health care to schools. If you are able to find a local crisis center, they may be able to refer you to a local health center that offers free services.

For the STI exam, Planned Parenthood is always a great resource. You might also try calling your county health department to see if they do free testing and treatment. There is a group of agencies who receive federal family planning money called the Family Planning Councils of America. You can visit their website http://www.fpcai.org/members.html to see if there is an agency in your state or region. If so, visit that agency's website to see if there are any clinics near you. These federal dollars provide free and reduced cost services to those who can't afford it. You can also search online to see if there is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), Community Health Center (CHC) or Rural Health Center (RHC) in your area. These health centers provide services on a sliding scale and often provide dental and mental health services in addition to physical health clinics. You should also email your ZIP code to ASHA to find a clinic.

I understand your hesistancy in going to a free clinic, but in most cases, these clinics are staffed with caring people who want to help.

It's great that you're finally facing your fears and are ready to get some help. It takes a LOT of strength to do this, and I wish you the best. Please come back here if you need anything.

-Allison

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]