ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm 

Hi, I have been trying to get answers to this but it has not been easy to get a hold of anyone or find very much info on this. My question is, if I have had oral sex with a man who has been treated for anal warts and has not had an out break in over a year, should I be worried about getting anything? I am also a man, of which I had done nothing to him sexually. We kissed and he did the oral sex to me. I also did nothing with his anus. He also informed me that he had been tested in March for HIV and said he was negative, but should I be worried about any other diseases if the only contact we had was through oral sex? I recognized I could be at risk for anal warts, but he assures me that I will not get them because he has been treated for them and has not had an outbreak since. Is this correct? Also if he is clean, does that mean even if he did give me anal warts, is testing a need for me, because the testing would only be for HIV and I don't believe a blood test could determine if I have anal warts? Please give me any information in regards to this. I am not opposed to getting tested, but I see no reason to get tested if nothing could be found through the blood test. This is the first person I have ever been with sexually, and I am extremely nervous. My only hope is that by the actions we did, were not risky enough to give me anything other than the warts, or anything for that matter. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and take the time to respond to this. You have no idea how much I will appreciate your responses. Hope to hear from you soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Hollywood,

It iisn't likely you'd get HPV through receiving oral sex. Anal and genital HPV infections are almost always contracted through direct genital to genital and genital to anal contact (it might be possible to contract HPV orally be performing oral sex on someone with the virus, although it isn't clear just how often this happens).

It's a good idea to use a condom for any sexual encounter, including having someone perform oral sex on you. Ask your healthcare provider if there are any tests they might recommend for you. There is no HPV test approved for clinical "real world" use with men and honestly, most people have HPV at some point in their lives and are able to clear the virus without ever being aware of it.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: Thank-you
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 pm 

Thank-you so much for getting back to me! It was extremely helpful the information you have given! It's god sent to have people like you put people at ease, or help them in the right direction when they really need it! Thank-you so very much again!
Hollywood

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]