ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: super freakout
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 pm 

Whew, alright. I just need some advice. :(

I'm an 18 year old girl. At the beginning of May, I had my first ever sexual experience (which was a huge mistake) by having sex with a guy I'd just met while at a party. A condom was used, but I know he's slept around and I know that condoms aren't 100% effective, so... yeah. Worry.

Also, another dumb mistake (guessing I don't learn here) happened to me less than a week ago. I fooled around with a guy ten years my senior, who I suspect has slept with many a person before and it would not surprise me if he's done drugs also, such as shooting up which I know can cause diseases as well. We performed oral sex on each other, unprotected, but as he did not orgasm there was no semen. The BIG concern here though is that I somehow got cut externally and started to bleed, which while is a small concern in itself, worries me because it gave any sort of disease direct access into my bloodstream.

My question here is how long do I have to wait before getting tested? I know that certain STDs can show up in the test within a week, but I also know that others may not show up for months. I've looked around on a few sites but I've found so many different answers that I just do not know what to do.

Should I get tested now just to be sure, then again in a few months, or just wait a few months? I'm just so terrified, and I want this all resolved soon. Thanks for any help. :)

Post subject: Re: super freakout
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:29 am 
Site Admin

username wrote:
Whew, alright. I just need some advice. :(

I'm an 18 year old girl. At the beginning of May, I had my first ever sexual experience (which was a huge mistake) by having sex with a guy I'd just met while at a party. A condom was used, but I know he's slept around and I know that condoms aren't 100% effective, so... yeah. Worry.

Also, another dumb mistake (guessing I don't learn here) happened to me less than a week ago. I fooled around with a guy ten years my senior, who I suspect has slept with many a person before and it would not surprise me if he's done drugs also, such as shooting up which I know can cause diseases as well. We performed oral sex on each other, unprotected, but as he did not orgasm there was no semen. The BIG concern here though is that I somehow got cut externally and started to bleed, which while is a small concern in itself, worries me because it gave any sort of disease direct access into my bloodstream.

My question here is how long do I have to wait before getting tested? I know that certain STDs can show up in the test within a week, but I also know that others may not show up for months. I've looked around on a few sites but I've found so many different answers that I just do not know what to do.

Should I get tested now just to be sure, then again in a few months, or just wait a few months? I'm just so terrified, and I want this all resolved soon. Thanks for any help. :)

Username,

Good questions and I'm glad you asked.

You can ask your health care provider to test you for STIs at your next visit if you're really freaking out about it. However, your risk for all of the STIs is minimal. Your second encounter would really only put you at risk of herpes 1 & 2, if your partner had it. If you're concerned, it's a good idea to wait 12 weeks from your last exposure for a herpes antibody test.

I hope this helps. 8)

Dharma

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]