ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:25 am 

I had unprotected sex 3 times with a person, first time being August 26th. I went to the emergency room yesterday, and was advised that I probably have Gonnorhea, Chlamydia, or Trich - and that possibly I could have 2 or more of those at the same time. I was sent home with a prescription for Doxycycline, Cipro, & Flagyl.. one medication to treat each STD. I was also told to come by the hospital on Monday morning to get the results from the doctor that saw me. He advised me that I should go to my OBGYN and be tested for HIV, Hep., Syphillis.. etc.

Is it too soon to be tested for everything else?? I am really flipping out over here. I told the guy that he gave me an STD, just not sure which one, and he's denying it.. but he's the ONLY person I have slept with in the past several months and these symptoms I had came on within a week of sleeping with him and gradually got worse. He said if he had an std he'd be hurting really bad and all the other girls he has been with would come to him and say something - which leads me to believe he's very promiscious.

I'm terrified. I have had an appointment already set to see my obgyn on the 15th, what should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi countrygirl,

Thanks for the post. With HIV, it's usually recommended to wait at least three months after the last potential exposure to test (to give antibodies a chance to develop in detectable quantities), and blood tests for herpes are usually ok 12-16 weeks after exposure.

Syphillis blood tests should be done no sooner than three months after a risky encounter. Blood work for Hepatitis B is generally reliable within 9 weeks (most will test accurately in about 4 weeks). Sometimes Hep C is also tested for (usually if the partner is diagnosed, rather than a general "what if?" screening), and the window here is around three months.

Keep in mind the amount of time it takes for a test to be accurate can vary, and many of the tests mentioned above can still be reliable even if one tests more quickly that what is recommended. Conversely, in some cases people don't have detectable antibody levels for longer than you would expect (this can, rarely, occur with HIV). Ask your healthcare provider which tests they recommend you have, and when it's ok to do them.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]