ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm 

What does Aldara actually do to the warts?? I was given it and told to take it 3 days on at nighttime, wash it off in the morning, then 4 days off....for a month. This is my 3rd wk on the cream. I've been so worried about inflammation it is supposed to cause...but it seems by the 3rd night, and i stop...the irritation stops...so thats good. Is it supposed to take the warts off? or just help build immunity to the infection?? I would think the doctor would have taken them off then had me use the cream in those areas to build the immunity....I'm confused!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi peaches,

Aldara is unique in that it does remove warts, but does so not by destroying or removing tissue but through stimulating an immune response directly in the skin cells around where the cream is applied. It literally seeks to jumpstart your own defenses to clear the warts.

Aldara tends to work better with women than men, and can be used up to 16 weeks. Even when it doesn't entirely remove all warts, it still might help by shrinking the warts so that removal by another method is easier.

I hope this helps. Post again anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 am 

Thank you so much Fredo....yes that helped me out. I knew that it helped with the immune defense, but just wasnt sure how and what it actually did To the warts. I have one more 3 day span of it to use, then i go back to the dr. Luckily, i havent had a severe reaction to it, very mild so far. Hope thats a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:04 pm 

Wow cool I always thought that it removed the wart. I've never used it myself but have thought about it rather than other methods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am 

That has opened my eyes too... I only found this forum today and you guys have already put my mind at rest about several of my concerns... Its amazing how many myths about stds there are and how little the information... you guys are great :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:27 pm 

Fredo wrote:
Aldara tends to work better with women than men, and can be used up to 16 weeks. Even when it doesn't entirely remove all warts, it still might help by shrinking the warts so that removal by another method is easier.
Best,
Fredo

I went to my follow up appt after using Aldara for 4 weeks. The GW seem to have shrunk a bit she said, and because i didnt have many side effects or burning, she gave me another script of it. I am having other female issues as well and when i have my Endometrial Ablation, she will remove the GW. Yeah!!! I am looking forward to that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update, Peaches. I hope all goes well with you, and please keep in touch!

Best always,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]