ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What are skin tags?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 pm 

Could someone give me some information on what extactly skin tags are? I was told that there was a 80 percent chance that what I thought was a wart and had cut off and sent to the lab, might be hpv. but, than I seen a picture of a skin tag and my " wart" looks more like a skin tag. Could some one give me some information.

Thanks a head of time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:27 am 

skin tags are just extra skin. The lab will be able to tell the difference.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 am 

I mean a week ago, my doctor cut off a "wart" sent it to the lab. I went two days ago got the results, she said that the lab is 80 percent sure its hpv. of course I said 80? she said that the "wart" cut off and sent isn't the normal looking" wart" they see. I showed concern, I would like to be a little more sure than 80 percent, or is there never a 100 percent case ?
She just told me to make a appt for next week to burn them off?
I was reading on here, and someone said that they could be moles or skin tags, when I read up on skin tags I have a lot in commen with them, T hey said they come in my age range, and also after having a baby, and gaining weight, and mostly in women, under a breast. I have all them... so, I was wondering if maybe, I should get second opinion... please if you have any input, let me know. thxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:34 pm 

I would feel very comfortable with these being hpv due to the pathology report even though it's only 80% likelihood. That's darn good chance that it is hpv related and personally the better solution is to get them removed promptly and not wait and let them risk spreading further down yonder until you could give them some time to "grow" and get another biopsy and pathology report on them.

If you really want you can request that they send your speciment elsewhere for a 2nd opinion but at 80% certainly, there's a good chance that it really is what they say it is.

I know, not the words you probably wanted to hear but hpv is very common and getting it in your genital area isn't unusual at all.

betsy

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:57 pm 

Thank you for the information...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]