ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:41 am 

Have occasional outbreaks on buttocks. Want to resurrect sex life by oral sex with similar afflicted companions. What are further dangers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

It is possible to contract herpes by performing oral sex on a partner with genital herpes, although I don't know how often this occurs. Most people already have oral herpes by the time they become adults, and the type of herpes most often (but not always) found in genital infections is HSV-2, which doesn't prefer other skin areas nearly as much.

A common sense precaution here is not to allow someone to give you oral sex during times of outbreak, even if the lesions are on the buttocks. Herpes can still sometimes be transmitted in the absence of symptoms, so risk reductions strategies such as condoms and possibly daily suppressive therapy with Valtrex are possibilities. These approaches are used more with genital/anal sex, though, than oral contact.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: Cunnilingus
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:46 pm 

Thanks, but I do not understand. If we both have herpes, do I also run further erisk by giving oral?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 am 

No, if both partners have hsv2 then oral sex isn't really an issue. You could in theory contract hsv2 orally but you aren't very likely at all to do so. Having hsv2 on one body part, gives you significant protection from contracting it on other body parts later on. As Fred already said though, err on the side of caution and don't perform oral on a partner who has an active ob or feels like one might be starting.

betsy

Post subject: Herpes couples
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:46 am 

Thanks for your help. Now all I have to do is find a suitable partner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:38 pm 

Have you tried any of the herpes dating sites? www.mpwh.net is probably the biggest one.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:04 pm 

I thought it was common to have hsv 2 on both the genitals and the mouth???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:14 am 

Not very many people have hsv2 orally. You can have it both places but I certainly wouldn't call it common.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]