ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am 

So I went to the clinic at work because I have been having off and on symptoms of itching/irritation in my vagina/vulva/anal region. My doctor had been treating me for yeast. At the clinic, they did find some discharge and it came back negative for tric but positive for BV. She checked me for lesions, bumps etc. and found nothing else suspicious. I think what happened was an accidental anal back to vaginal insertion (it was a split second) but other than trying to keep from that occurring, is there anything else I can do to help my good bacteria? Also, does having HPV make me more suspecible to vaginal infections/bacterial issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:24 pm 

bv is very common in females. No one is 100% sure what causes it - whether it's the ph of the vagina being off enough for bacteria to over grow , bacteria from the gi tract contaminating the vaginal secretions or just what. It's probably a combination of things.

I swear by fem dophilus by jarrow myself. You can even get a free sample of it on their website. It has been proven to colonize the urogenital tract in females with 2 types of "good" bacteria. Lots of info on those 2 strains on pubmed.gov for further reading or if you look for probiotics and dr gregor reid on pubmed. Too many products touted for females don't actually contain any strains of bacteria that actually have been proven to colonize the urogenital tract so it's worthwhile to do your homework.

Hopefully now that have treated your bv, it's gone for a good long time :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:08 pm 

Hi Betsy, thanks again for the switft response. Yes, it is perplexing! I'll definately check out the Fem-Dophilus. I've been taking a different Probiotic, but I'll switch. BTW, this is my first day after receiving the "gel". The itching is worse today, but hopefully it will get better after I've finished the 5 day treatment. I also didn't read that you had to keep it between 65-77 degrees. I accidentally left it in the car for a few hours and the weather was in the high 30s. :shock: It was really challanging to fill the first applicator. I hope that since my place is in the 65-77 range, that the applicator will be easier to fill tonight. More gel, so much fun. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 

I'm sure the cool gel felt refreshing though eh? he he he

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 am 

Hey Betsy, I think perhaps I've done it wrong both nights (had the gel a bit too close to the top) because it stings when I insert the applicator. I'm hoping that in the next few days I feel better. I plan to pick up the Fem-Dophilus tomorrow. Man, there are days I don't want to be a woman (or a sexual being for that matter).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:53 am 

Did you read the insert that came with the medication as to how to properly fill the applicator and how to insert it and how far to insert it?

betsy

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 am 

betsyb1967 wrote:
Did you read the insert that came with the medication as to how to properly fill the applicator and how to insert it and how far to insert it?

betsy

Yes, the first night, because the gel was so hard to get into the applicator, I accidentally "overfilled" it (the applicator insert actually popped off). I cleaned off the top but it hurt (more like stung) upon insertion. Second night, I was "testing" the plunger and the gel was pushed again towards the top. Again, stinging upon inserting the applicator. I did follow the instructions regarding how far up the gel is supposed to go so that isn't concerning, but the stinging wasn't pleasant. Since I'm still itchy after 2 applications, is it possible that something else is going on? Thoughts? (BTW...last sex, with a condom, was 12/29 and I'm supposed to start my period next week).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:33 pm 

Usually it takes a few doses until you feel better :(

Try taking a bath and throw in some epsom salts or even some baking soda. That's often soothing to irritated skin.

When you go to insert the medication before bed tonight - Try rubbing a little of the medication on the outside of the applicator with your finger before inserting or even a little ky or something on the applicator to see if that goes better. Often it's easier if you lay on the floor on your back to insert it too.

Just loads of fun being female eh? Hope you are feeling better soon :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:47 pm 

Thanks Betsy, I'm going to take a nice bath tonight. I am truly starting to feel like a freak with all the irritation and female issues, glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't feel so great down there all the time. My vulva has been under a spotlight now so many times that I don't need a gown anymore. :lol:

**Update** went to Whole Foods..they didn't have Fem Dophilis in stock so I'm waiting for them to call me when it is in. Meanwhile, I read some threads about Folic Acid and BV. Not sure I want to go as high as 800 mg per day, but if it works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 pm 

Never read up much on folic acid and bv myself. Already get enough of it in my daily multivitamin and it's also added to bread and many of the foods we eat too so I figure I get plenty already.

It's your first bv, assume the medication will work :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:42 pm 

Day 4 and things are MUCH better! Thank you so much for the advice about using KY on the outside of the applicator. That really cut down on the irritation(amazing how irritating a small plastic applicator can be). There is still itching (I think I will ALWAYS be itchy) but it is significantly less than when I first started. I did buy a 400 mg folic acid suppliment. I am taking it in addition to my multivitamin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:45 am 

Hey Betsy. Thought I would give you an update. Finished my course of treatment and felt a lot better (no itching) for a day. Then, the itching and burning started up again (I didn't notice any discharge or smell). I'm truly at my wits end (it's bad enough that I wish I could scratch) :? . I will certainly be discussing this with my doctor (perhaps I need to see a dermatologist?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:50 am 

Call monday and make another appointment for next week and get rechecked to see what's still going on down yonder. Sometimes it takes more than 1 round to clear it all up.

Have I said sometimes it sucks to be female yet? ugh.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:20 am 

Hey Betsy, I thought I would give you an update.

I was able to find Fem-Dophilis at Whole Foods and bought both bottles. It is pretty darn expensive in the store so is there a company that you recommend to order it online?

I went to my doctor this morning to have a follow up pap performed. I told her about my BV diagnosis and had asked for a referral to a dermatologist due to the "pimples" on my buttocks. She perscribed me with Keflex and stated that I had Folliculitis and that the Keflex would take care of both the BV and folliculitis. I also asked about being tested for HSV 1 orally but she stated that everyone has HSV 1 orally and that I had a culture that came back negative. So I guess I'm on my own with regards to getting that test performed. Should I go to Planned Parenthood or would an oline site be better? I'm hoping that perhaps my insurance will still cover at least part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:07 pm 

I'm sure whole foods charges the msrp :( At this point you have 2 bottles which will last you a good long time. You really only need to take it 2x/day for 5 days to treat vaginitis. If you want to continue taking it afterwards to prevent vaginitis , it's one pill daily.

keflex isn't really a good choice at all for bv. Treat the skin infection with it though and see how things go with you also taking the fem dophilus.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next