ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Safe Oral Sex
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:32 pm 

Hi folks,
I am new to this board...have been on the HPV one. I was diagnosed with genital warts a bit over a month ago. All has been treated. My boyfriend may or may not have hpv.

I'm beginning to feel better with myself and get used to my infection. I was hoping folks can give me some pointers on safe oral sex techniques. I know the basics--non-lubricated/flavored condoms, diy dental dams, being sure you don't mix up genital side with mouth side--but was hoping to get "real" tips. I read something about putting some lube under the condom before putting it on to increase sensation. Has anyone tried this? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 am 

A lil lube under the condom on a male helps to keep the condom from breaking too. The prelubed condoms really don't have enough lube on them for most folks or if the sex tends to be a little ah um prolonged you usually could benefit from a little more :D

Are you asking about safe oral sex just from a hpv standpoint or in general if you are with a partner who's std status you aren't sure of?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:56 am 

Thanks for the reply.

My hpv diagnosis has made me very aware that I was mis/under-educated. Also, while there's lots out there (on message boards, internet, etc.) about how to help prevent an STI and what the symptoms are like, there's not much out there about life with an STI. I guess back in the sex education classes we received in high school it was somehow implied that if you have an STI your sex life is over.

I plan to incorporate "safer" oral sex with my current (or future) partners and wanted to get a bit more information than what I could find on the internet--i.e. I know the safety reasons, benefits, etc. I was hoping to get input on what folks have tried and things that have increased sensitivity, as that is the most apparent downfall.

~caterpillar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:26 am 

Well I"m a bad one for real tips because to be perfectly honest, I don't use barrier protection for oral sex myself. Never thought twice about it when I was younger and had new partners more frequently and am now at the age where I"m comfortable talking with my partners more about std's in general, insistant on getting them tested to know their status and just haven't had a partner where I need to really utilize barrier protection. If I had a partner who wanted to use barrier protection for oral I would but so far none have wanted to use it for performing oral on me and I"ve felt comfortable not using one for oral on them. Hopefully some other posters who do utilize barrier protection for oral sex chime in to help answer your questions :)

betsy

Post subject: However...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:33 am 
But even if there is safe oral sex, I was wondering if there is still a possibility of still getting a disease. I read about chlamydia and it is said that you can still get it if you undergo oral sex. What's scary is that it does not show any signs that you have one...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]