ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Molluscum diagnosis
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:44 pm 

I was just told by my doctor that I have molluscum - I have no idea where I got it from - I have just started a new relationship in the past month and we had not had intercourse but have had oral sex and slept in the same bed. I had the first spot when I met him but I thought it was a mole - they are very common in my family. I have more marks now but I thought it was pimples from shaving - something new I have just started in this relationship - little did I know I was making things worse. My doctor is not concerned at all about this - she said that it is better to leave it alone than try and treat it - she said I can go swimming, which I have read could spread it to others? She said my new partner has a 50% chance of getting it....and that condoms will not prevent him getting it. Is there anything that I can do so that we can safely be together and be close? If the marks are covered with bandaids could we safely have sex? I am not even sure how I am going to tell him this - I feel like I've done something horrible - but I honestly had no idea and it may be too late - he may already have it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 am 

Your partner could have it and not have symptoms or you could've gotten it elsewhere - you might never figure it out.

I recommend going to a dermatologist and having it treated. It's not worth the hassle of waiting for it to go away on its own and risking spreading it to more body parts and/or to your partner if you didn't get it from them.

Have you talked to your partner about this?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm 

Yes, I talked to him on the weekend and he was amazing about it - so understanding - I was afraid he would leave - we just started seeing each other so its all very new....not a conversation that you want to have for sure. My doctor said that seeing a dermatologist was no help - that it was very painful, could cause secondary infections and that there was no guarantee that it would get rid of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 am 

I still recommend going to the dermatologist. There are even topical treatments that help speed the disappearance of the molluscum. I'm not quite sure why your doctor told you what they did.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 am 

I am going back to my doctor later in the month and will talk to her about a dermatologist then - thanks! On another note, my new guy - he bailed last night - he is too freaked by my new condition and afraid that he will accidently pass something on to his grandson. It hurts - but I have to look at the positive side - he wasn't the one for me so better to find out now I guess. Thanks again for your advice!

Post subject: Another question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:59 am 

I read on one blog that taking baths is not recommended with molluscum - is there any truth to this? I have been showering ever since I read it but I really miss my bubble baths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 am 

They recommend not sharing bathtubs, no reason not to soak in the tubby though.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]