ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:06 pm 

I had unprotected sex and oral sex in lebanon with a sexworker

after 30 day i had HIV1/2+P24 TEST generation 4th result come Negative

after 60 day i had HIV1/2+P24 TEST generation 4th result come Negative

after 80 day i had HIV1/2+P24 TEST generation 4th result come Negative

do i need more testing or can i relax and go on with my life ?

and is the test hiv1/2+p24 can be 100% concerd conclusive at 80 day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi Tomas,

Most HIV tests are accurate in the time frame you mentioned, and I'll provide some specifics below. If you have questions ask your doctor, but both antibody and antigen tests are generally reliable in the time frame you mention.

This is from the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/qa/be_tested.htm#wait:

Quote:
How long after a possible exposure should I wait to get tested for HIV?

Most HIV tests are antibody tests that measure the antibodies your body makes against HIV. It can take some time for the immune system to produce enough antibodies for the antibody test to detect, and this time period can vary from person to person. This time period is commonly referred to as the “window period.” Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks (the average is 25 days). Even so, there is a chance that some individuals will take longer to develop detectable antibodies. Therefore, if the initial negative HIV test was conducted within the first 3 months after possible exposure, repeat testing should be considered >3 months after the exposure occurred to account for the possibility of a false-negative result. Ninety-seven percent of persons will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV.

Another type of test is an RNA test, which detects the HIV virus directly. The time between HIV infection and RNA detection is 9–11 days. These tests, which are more costly and used less often than antibody tests, are used in some parts of the United States.

For information on HIV testing, you can talk to your health care provider or you can find the location of the HIV testing site nearest to you by visiting the National HIV Testing Resources Web site at http://www.hivtest.org or call CDC-INFO 24 Hours/Day at 1-800-CDC-INFO (232-4636), 1-888-232-6348 (TTY), in English, en Español. Both of these resources are confidential.

If you would like more information or have personal concerns, call CDC-INFO 24 Hours/Day at 1-800-CDC-INFO (232-4636), 1-888-232-6348 (TTY), in English, en Español.

Hope this helps,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]