ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:05 pm 

I have been happily married for nearly 6 years and my husband and I have a beautiful 19 mo. old daughter. My job requires me to travel away from home about once a month. About three weeks ago I slept with a man who wasn't my husband...call it a freak thing. I was totally devistated. I told him, and surprisingly things are okay. We've been through 3 deployments to Iraq and a miscarriage during one of those deployments...so I know that our marriage is strong enough to make it past a one night stand.

We've had a rough couple of days recently. I was out of town for a few days earlier this week and had an awful case of diarrhea (probably from the water). When I got home it hurt to urinate, so I went to our Urgent Care. Negative for bladder infections so the Dr. sent me home but recommended that I follow up with my primary Dr. So I did. Same thing no bladder infection...but here's some Cipro just in case. When I spiked a 102 fever this morning I knew things were much more serious. Called my Dr. and he told me to go back to the Urgent Care. Upon a very painful pelvic exam this Dr. is now treating me for PID. Could this be a result of what happened 3 weeks ago, or from my bought of diarrhea on my recent trip this week? We won't get cultures back for a couple days. To top it of I've noticed some small sores around my genital area. Are these herpes, or are they a result from my infection? I'm confused and scared.

This felt as good a place and as safe a place to really relay some of my fears. Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:44 pm 

Hello hello,

I read your post and it sounds like PID or a nasty case of a vaginal infection. Also you may want to check into colitis which can cause a nasty case of the runs. Any of these conditions can cause some vaginal irritation including blistering and with a fever it is possible. With many women, vaginal symptons can go unnoticed because we may not show signs.

Here's the issue I'm concerned about is the one night stand because many PID cases are related to gonorrhea and chlamydia. With antibiotics this can be cured. Herpes can also be a factor but the best way to discern is to do a viral culture while lesions are presents and in your case small bumps. You can also do a Herpes specific blood exam to determine if you are HSV positive and if you have HSV1 or HSV 2. Antivirals can be taken for these conditions but there is no cure. Around 70% of the U.S population has HSV-1 and it can be easily managed. Hopefully this won't be a factor for you and I'm hoping and praying that ypu won't have to deal with the above issues

Gono and Chlam can also cause symptoms like fever, nausea, stomach or abdominal pain, diarrhea, chills, flu- like symptons. Herpes- blistering, redness, cuts that resemble paper cuts, tenderness, flu like symptoms.

The best thing you did was to seek some medical help.

I hope this helps and if there are any worries, just ask away. We are all here to help ypu as much as we can :D

P-S. Bacterial vaginosis can also cause signs like the above mentioned. The cultures will give the Doc an idea on what will work best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:32 pm 

Isis

Thank you so much for your reassuring words. I went and saw my OB/GYN yesterday (because the ER doc told me to). The great news is that all my cultures came back negative...which leaves us scratching our heads as to what may have cause me get such a terrible infection. But upon further examination, I've got herpes. Obviously we won't know for a few days whether it is type I or type II. At least now my body can start healing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:55 pm 

You are most welcome.keep in mind Herpes can be managed and you can have a normal sex life with proper treatment and precautions.I'm cheering for you and please keep us posted on what happens.

Isis :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]