ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: accurate blood test?
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:00 pm 

I was recently diagnosed with herpes after been given a blood test by my doctor. However, after doing some research I came across information saying to wait 12-16 weeks after your last possible exposure to get accurate results. I was tested about 3-4 weeks after my last possible exposure. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but are my test results dependable? Should I wait and get tested again after 12-16 weeks have passed? And if so, in the instance that I receive a different result, which one can I depend on?

I also called the doctor's office to confirm which type of blood test was administered but was given no info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mel,

12-16 weeks after an exposure is the usual recommended window to wait for herpes blood tests, as this gives the immune response time to produce detectable levels of antibodies against the infection. We don't have information as to how reliable tests are after 3-4 weeks, and I'm sorry there's not more we can offer about that.

Download the pdf of our herpes blood test guide at http://www.ashastd.org/pdfs/blood_test.pdf

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]