ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:43 pm 

I was just diagnosed with Herpes last week and this is a whole new world for me. I was just married one year ago next month and can't seem to get through this alone.
I was married the first time for 17 years and divorced for 10. I have been with my current husband for 6 of those years. We were apart for 2 years and back together for the last 3 years. While we were seperated I had unprotected sex with several partners as did he. We are not sure if I got it from someone or he did. He has had no outbreaks and this is my first. I cannot believe how painful this is. I had one small area (I cant really call it a sore), it was just painful and very red. I think what got to me the most was the exam at my dr. office. I was already in tears at the thought of him touching the site and when he did I thought I would jump off the table. When he did the culture I cried even more. When he looked at it he said (Oh, its a little herpes) so casual and I just coudln't believe it. I don't think I heard much after that. My husband intitally questioned my faithfulness but we have talked a lot and cried a lot together.
He is so worried about sex again and he always loved performing oral sex on me but is now afraid. I just can't see a normal sex life as part of our future anymore and I feel shame, guilt, angry, so many emotions that I can't explain. They say the outbreaks are brought on by stress which I already had a lot of but this just adds to it.
I just feel helpless and cry as I write this.
Tell me it gets better. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
:( :oops: :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:25 pm 

Please believe me sweetie when I say things will get better. I know it's hard to believe that but trust me it will. The doctor's viral culture will help . This could help determine the type of herpes you have whether it is Herpes Simplex 1 or 2. The reason I say this is because over 70% of the current population has Hepres Simplex 1. What you are describing sounds like a mild cases of Herpes. I was diagnosed myself this year but hadn't had sex since March 2005 ( my own decision ). Herpes can lay dormant for weeks, months and sometimes years before anything shows up. When my testing came back, it showed that I had Herpes Simplex 1 , which I knew that because I had fever blisters in the past but when it showed up in my genital tract, it was sort of a shock.HSV-1 can be transferred by oral sex. That I didn't know so I got educated as much as possible. That's what you are going to have to do. Here are websites:

www.famvir.com
www.valtrex.com
www.westoverheights.com

These websites can get you started on coping with H and trust me you can have a normal sex life. I know that sounds strange but it's true. You may want to check with your doctor to see which type you have. HSV 2 prefers the genital tract but it loses some punch when on the mouth. This is vise versa for HSV 1. Also if it shows you have HSV-1 then that's pretty much to be expected. ALso knowing the type you have can help determine the severity of outbreaks. Most people with HSV 1 may have outbreaks and viral shedding less frequently than someone who may have HSV 2. There is a small percentage of those with HSV 1 who will have frequent outbreaks. ALso the first year is the toughest with outbreaks because your immune system needs to build up "fighters" to help control and suppress the virus. Of course don't have sex if an outbreak is present or if you think you are going to have an outbreak. But other times should be fine. Usually as time progresses, outbreaks become less and less frequent and severe

SO please don't cry. When you first find out it's hard but herpes is a big nuisance to most who have it. I've met and known many people with H to enjoy life, sex and the whole nine yards.

So if you are ready to ask questions and get knowledeable about this virus, you have come to the right place. Ask away, vent, cry . It's time to rebuild yourself and your life. If your hubby has questions, just ask. We are all here to help you get through this. :D

Herpes is extremely common.As a matter of fact , there are roughly 8 types of herpes viruses. So, at any point in life one can be exposed.

EX.

Herpes 1 - Cold Sores
Herpes 2 - Genital Herpes
Herpes 3 - Shingles, Chicken Pox
Herpes 4 - Mono, "Kissing Pox"

So you see you are not alone and again ask anything you like, vent. We are all here to help you make it through and it will get better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:30 pm 

Thank you so very much Isis for your fast reply.
I have gone to webmd which answered a lot of questions but you have me very curious now about the type that I have and I am anxious to try the websites you suggested.
It always helps to know you are not alone and I guess I will just have to get used to the idea and I am sure that the depression will get better and I thank God that I found this website. I know I am still at the point of crying when I talk about it and I have 2 sisters that I am very close to but I cannot bring myself to tell them. I just don't want anyone to know for fear of how they will see me. I know that sounds juvenile and I am 47 years old but I guess shame has got a hold of me. My niece has herpes and she is just 23 years old and seems to be dealing with hers very well and I have talked to her about it and that helps but I still feel like I don't want anyone else to know.
Thanks for your compassion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:05 pm 

You are most welcome and it's okay to feel what you are feeling. Give yourself some time to come to grips with everything and if the viral culture doesn't type your infection which it should , you can always request a Herpes Specific Blood tes. However the viral culture should be enough. With time I'm sure you will be able to tell your sisters and I'm sure they will support you. I'm most positive they will still see you as their bratty sister ( smile ). :lol: The good thing is that your niece can help you feel a little better and be of some support. There are treatment options available that can help you cope wit the virus and it has been found that Valtrex can help reduce transmission of the virus to your partner.

Let us know what the doctor says and keep in mind you have friends on the board . Check out some of the post. You can find great information around this entire board.

God Bless :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:48 pm 

Depressed....
I have just found out as well, actually still waiting on the lab results to confirm the visual diagnosis, but I am learning to deal with this more and more, and have found this message board to be invaluable.

I think you will have to change your user name - you will not always be Depressed. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 pm 

Hey ya'll
I am really confused now. I got my results from my culture and the dr. said there are no signs of the simplex 1 or 2 but he still feels like it is herpes but just a mild case of it and that I can only be sure with a blood test. What do you guys think?
I feel like I should just wait to see if I have another breakout and then get the blood tests and I do realize now that I would feel an outbreak coming out if it feels anything like it did this time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:17 am 

Unfortunately cultures are falsely negative about 70% of the time :( At this point I recommend that both you and your hubby go get type specific herpes igg blood tests and go from there. If you are completely hsv negative and hubby is hsv1+ then you can guess that it was probably hsv1 genitally. If either one of you has hsv2 on the blood test then most likely that is what it was. You can post the numeric results of the blood tests here when you get them - ie hsv1 igg 6.1 and hsv2 igg 4.1 or whatever they are when you get them and I'll gladly give you a hand with them if you need it.

Should you test + for hsv2 and hubby is hsv2 negative then discuss between the two of you what precautions you want to take. If you do nothing but avoid sex during obvious symptoms in yourself he is 96% likely NOT to contract hsv2 from you each year. If you take daily suppressive therapy his risk is cut in half. Condom use would reduce it even farther and make him about 99% likely NOT to contract hsv2 from you. It's up to the two of you to decide what precautions you think are necessary.

Also since both of you have had other partners when you weren't together - it's probably not a bad idea to cover all the bases and both get full std testing. If you are planning on starting a family at some point I"d highly recommend it unless you had it done since you got back together of course.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:19 am 

I had my first OB about 2 weeks ago, went to the dr and he told me that I have HPV-2. I've been reading all the posts and feel a little reassured but yet skeptical on how to have a normal sex life...

This is all new to me and i'm feeling angry and dirty about myself.

My dr. prescribed Famvir to be taken in 5 days and then whenever I feel an itch or pain. I know about Valtrex as well, but I was wondering is one better then the other? Valtrex seems to be mentioned a lot and the fact that it might help prevent transmitting the virus? Also, my dr. didn't give me a daily supplement, is that good or bad? I'm currently dating a guy who I don't know how to tell him. Since its so new in the relationship most definitely he'll leave me, but not sure if I could blame him.

My other questions have to do with sexual relations itself. But I guess I'll do it in stride...

I see how helpfull the whole group has been and am looking forward to getting some answers to help me cope!

Thank you for just being here!!!

G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 pm 

Just fyi - your post won't get lost in the discussion so easily if you just start your own thread from now on :)

Hsv is herpes simplex which is the virus that causes oral and genital herpes infections. Hpv is the virus that causes warts. Probably just a typo but just wanted to point that out :) I think you really meant hsv2.

Since this is your first ob your doctor should've prescribed famvir 250 mg 3x/day for 10 days. You were not prescribed enough medication. Give the doc a call back and ask for the proper dose. Last time I checked the proper first ob dose was not a part of the full prescribing info so unfortunately many doc's just guess and guess wrongly but if your doc disagree's with my advice - encourage them to give the fine folks at novartis a call and ask for the dose the research recommends - which is the dose I posted.

All 3 antivirals work about the same. There's very little difference between them. Acyclovir is the cheapest because it's available as a generic. Famvir is the most expensive and probably isn't worth the extra money to be honest unless the other two don't seem to work for you. Valtrex is still a little $ but it is the most convenient out of all of them since you don't have to take it as often and one study showed that it did delay the onset of viral shedding resuming longer than famvir did if you take it suppressively. For suppressive therapy it doesn't get easier than once a day pills.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]