ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:16 pm 

My boyfriend has herpes type 1. I was not aware of this. He had a blister in his mouth and told me it was a cold sore. At the time I had bit my cheek and had a white sore, I thought this was a cold sore and that he must have bit his lip too.

After kissing me and having sex with him, he told me what specific kind of cold sore it was. He also told me he only gets them when he is very stressed out, a few times a year. He has them since he is a kid.

My questions are:

Can i get infected from a non-open sore?

If I am infected how long does it take to show symptoms?

Can i get a blood test on type 1?

If you had type 1, would you tell your partner right away and avoid kissing them when you have a breakout? (which seems very logical to me, but apparently not to my boyfriend)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:59 pm 

Melyxa,

I'm sorry to hear about your dilema.

As far as dumping the boyfriend, you are the only one who knows how you feel about him and whether or not this is unforgivable for you...

I am new to this whole thing myself, still waiting on the lab results to confirm the visual diagnosis of GH, but you have came to the right place to get some great advice regarding this infection...these folks know their stuff.

Upon reading this message board and the information on the web page, I have managed to move on from "freaked out" mode into "knowledge hungry" mode. I can't say that this is ok, but I don't feel like my life is over now either...and I've made it 2 whole days without crying :)

Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:09 am 

melyxa - at this point you can't change what has already been done :( Go see your doctor and get a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your hsv1 and hsv2 status is. If you already have hsv1 and never knew it then you aren't likely to contract it genitally but it can happen. Should you notice any symptoms in the genital area over the next 2-3 weeks - be sure to see a medical professional within 24-48 hours of their appearance and get a lesion culture and typing done.

The sores you described inside your mouth sound more like canker sores which aren't contagious and aren't herpes.

Definitely your bf needs to be better educated on his oral herpes :( He shouldn't be kissing you when he has an active sore and he shouldn't be performing oral sex on you either until the sores have completely healed and his lip area is back to normal. for both his protection and yours - an open cold sore is an open portal into the body for bacteria too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]