ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:56 am 

Hello again,

If you didn't notice, I replied to my original post (Waiting on lab results) with the outcome of my lab work. And I am positive for HSV type 1, and it is a genital infection. (My partner is still waiting for his results, but no symptoms.)

From what I have learned, I still question whether this is actually type 1, or if the positive reading for type 1 is from an old infection, and this outbreak was actually caused by type 2, but there hasn't been sufficient time for me to build up enough antibodies against type 2 to test positive; as my labs were drawn only 12 days after the contact when I think I was infected.

Therefore, I plan to be retested in November, at my scheduled yearly exam with my gyn. That will allow 6 months for my immune system to build anitbodies and I will feel more certain that the result is accurate.

And, the result of my partners test's may also shed some light on the situation. If he is negative for type 2 also, then it is more likely that my negative result is accurate. If he is positive for type 2, then I definitely will question my result and will take precautions to assure that I don't get infected with type 2 until I can get retested to be certain of my status.

Now... I have questions....

1. If my partner is postive for HSV type 1, and likely is the source of my infection, I cannot re-infect him....correct?

Any further sexual contact between 2 people who are both positive for HSV type 1, oral or genital, will not have any further consequence resulting from that infection?

2. Upon getting his lab results, if he is positive for type 2, assuming that my labs are correct and I am not positive for type 2, is it possible for me to be infected genitally by type 1 and then also become infected genitally by type 2?

And if so, how in the heck would you know the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:28 pm 

ok so you just answered my question in your other thread. don't bother replying there - you can keep it here.

1 - correct. If your partner has hsv1 orally and you have it genitally just avoiding sex during obvious lesions is usually all it takes. He would have significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally.

2- hsv2 seems to protect against contracting hsv1 genitally. You aren't likely to contract hsv1 genitally later on on top of hsv2 and even if you did ( less than 5% of folks have them both genitally ) you wouldn't know the difference and hsv2 would be the cause of most recurrences and the biggest concern to future partners.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:17 pm 

Betsy ~

Thanks so much for your reply, but I am confused by your answer to my second question...

Thus far I have been told that I have HSV type 1 (genitally), so does that offer me any protection from infection by HSV type 2 (orally or genitally)... just in case my partner's labs reveal that he has both types?

I would prefer to just stick with my type 1, and not complicate matters with the addition of type 2... he he :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:15 am 

no hsv1 doesn't offer any significant protection against acquiring hsv2.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]