ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Please Read !
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:14 pm 

Hello Friends ... I apologize in advance if this is long

My story goes like this....around the last week of april i had unprotected orale relations (recieved only) with a girl i had just meet that night ( I know i'm so stupid =(. About 5 days later i went in to get tested just to be sure ( I know it takes longer for anti-bodys to creat but my stressing over it got the best of me). A week later upon recieving my results i came to find out that I am postive for Herpes Simplex 1 but everything else is negative. I had cold sores on my mouth around july of last year so which leads me to believe that my positive results is do to that. The reason why i am concernd is because when i got my results that week i notice i was having what appeard to be a very clear/watery like penile discharge and I only have this discharge after urination i told the doctor of this and he prescribed 10 days of Doxcy. I took the full treatment and nothing . In resent weeks to fallow i started feeling a crawling/tingling feeling around my testicals and every now and then around the area between the testicals and rectum but it only happens when i am seating down and occasionally when standing but it comes and goes. So i went back in a second time just about 2 wks ago and my doctor referd me to a uriologist so i went and saw him and i told him of my symptoms. He took a urin sample and checked my prostates and said they felt a bit mushy so he said what i am feeling is prostatitis and said the discharge that i speak of is probably urin that was unreleased because he said i have a very large urethra opening and it maybe didnt excape while using the restroom.

I asked both doctors if it might be genital herpes and they both said no...one even said he can bet his license on it ! Although comferting its not re-asuring. It has been 7 1/2 wks since possible exposure.. i have no penile sores or pain when urinating. The only other feeling that i have been having and i am feeling it very lightly as i write this is a slight pain in my right leg .....So my questions are...is this infact genital herpes, prostatitis, urethritis or just stress ? I have never ever looked at my penis as much as i have these past 7 wks ....Any advice or direction in the next step would be helpful....

God Bless you all

Always yours

OZ !

Post subject: Just my thoughts...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:11 pm 

Hi Oz ~

I seem to be the only person on here today, so I will share with you the little bit that I know about all of this... and the more knowledgable folks can answer when they get time... :wink:

I was only diagnosed on May 30, with HSV type 1 genitally, so I'm still learning too.

My question is this, I understand that you had unprotected contact with someone that you did not know very well, but other than that, what caused you to think that you might have contracted herpes? Was that just based on the discharge, or was it something else?

Regarding the discharge, did your doctor run testing for other stds, like gonorhea, chlamydia, and syphillis? No matter the result, if you took the Doxy that was prescribed, I suppose any of this would have cleared up, but it is still good to know if you were positive for any thing. (And obviously it is not likely that your recent genital/oral contact with this woman would have resulted in these infections anyways)

Also, being positive for Herpes type 1, and having had the cold sores on your mouth previously, this is likely an old infection. And can offer you significant protection against contracting herpes type 1 genitally.

BUT, BE AWARE...you can shed the herpes virus orally without symptoms, and you can infect someone else who has never been exposed, orally and/or genitally with this infection. Trust me, that is how I got it. And I was completely devasted, scared and ashamed. The person whom I had contact with had no idea that he was positive or that he could infect someone else. The whole experience was very emotional, besides the physical symptoms, and it took some time to come to terms with it... please act responsibly because this isn't anything you would ever want to put someone through.

On the plus side, most americans have already been exposed orally and there may not be anything to worry about as far as exposing someone else... but you sure don't want to be on the receiving end of that phone call if you should come into contact with someone, like myself, who did not have any immunity to it.

Best of luck to you, and like I said... the more knowledgabe folks will be along a little later :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm 

Sweeter then sweethalo

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to reply to my post =) I havent talked to any one about this except for my doctors and i must say your words come to me like an angel ! :D ... As for your questions ... the doctor did infact test for other std's and everything came back negative..also the reason why i went in , in the first place is do to the fact that i really didnt know the girl and so it had me a bit worried also i started feeling a bit nauseous and tierd but that soon stoped. I am sorry to hear about your infection and i can imagin how you feel...although whatever i am feeling may or may not be herpes I am right there with you =) ! If you dont mind i ask what were your symptoms like befor you broke out and how long did you feel them for ? I hope you had a wonderful weekend

with love

Oz

P.s

For the past 7 wks i have been doing nothing but heavy research ! I think that is why i am stressing so much. I want to know as much as possible =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm 

If you already are hsv1+ due to cold sores - you are not likely to contract hsv1 genitally afterwards. Hsv1 is the main concern herpeswise when it comes to oral sex. Very few folks have hsv2 orally and it doesn't shed very often to be transmitted to someone thru performing oral sex on them. Just a clear discharge isn't likely to be due to herpes.

Prostatitis is very common in males. Oral sex introduces normal mouth flora to the genital area where it doesn't always "fit" in very well and can cause trouble. It sounds like your original symptoms were treated with the doxy so you don't have anything to really continue worrying about. The other pain/symptoms you describe actually sounds like an anxiety type of symptom. The more you are concerned about what is going on in between your legs the more you tense up the muscles in that area ( not to mention the yoga positions you have to assume to even see some of those areas...he he he ). Try to relax about this. Whatever you happened to pick up is gone now. Now you need to relax and move on. Take a couple of nice long soaks in the tubby for your tense muscles. Throw in some baking soda to soften the water and soothe your skin too. A glass of wine for medicinal purposes also is usually pretty helpful ;) Throughout the day if you have some aches and pains - take some tylenol or advil so you aren't focued on them all the time and just making a bad thing worse. Nothing like a nice massage too to loosen up the muscles in that area too ( well not massage just that area but the muscles in your upper legs and your hip/buttock area ). Ok so any excuse for a massage but...

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:59 pm 

Dear betsy

I thank you profoundly for replying to my post ! :D I must say that i have been snooping around this forum for a couple of weeks until i finaly got the guts to post and have seen you reply to many others you seem to have excellent knowledge about herpes. Are you a doctor ? or does it just come with experiance =).. Both my doctor and your self said the same thing about the tingling/crawling feeling between my legs...he said it was just stress or anxiety...I guess i stressed over it so much when i read that herpes symptoms include a tingling feeling in the genital area and although rare it can also cause penile discharge and after i took the docxy and saw that symptoms did not go away thats when i freaked out and brought me to wear i am today. But then again i have only seen 1 or 2 pics of penile discharge so maybe what i thought was discharge in reality was just unreleased urin as my doctor stated. I'm thinking of going back in , in a few weeks to get retested. What do you think ? I'm on 7wks and i want to wait until 12 to go back in .. I hope to hear from you soon

Cheers
Oz!

p.s
Your prescription sounds fantastic :D ..some wine, a bath and throw in some Sinatra and its the perfect night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm 

Oz ~

My symptoms were classic initial outbreak symptoms.

Within 4 days of contact, I had a fever and flu-like aches and pains. On day 5, I noticed the blisters, but initially thought it was extremely infected hair follicles due to shaving the pubic area.

Then, those blisters started to cause a "prickley" feeling when they came into contact with anything at all. And I began investigating and found more blisters, and the others were on the more tissue-y type skin and I knew then something was WRONG!!!

The blisters starting to burst one by one, leaving open sores that were extremely painful! They hurt to sit, to stand, to walk, and certainly if anything touched them. Heck, they hurt just sitting still!

There was burning during urination, and burning at the sites of the sores. It felt as if I could feel and distinguish the pain from each individual affected area.

And the fever never relented, it was days after receiving antiviral meds and antibiotics before the fever finally went away.

However, some folks do not have such pronounced symptoms. My understanding is that it really depends on how quick your immune system kicks in with those precious little antibodies.

Someone else may have only had a single blister and no fever or flu-like symptoms and would have easily dismissed it as being nothing to worry about.

Oh, and I have to giggle about the weird sensations you were talking about, because that has been my experience during the healing process.

See my other post titled: Let the healing begin...but what are all of these weird sensations.

I say if it makes YOU feel better, sure... get tested again.
But don't obsess about it, as there is likely NOTHING to worry about. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm 

Oz ~

My symptoms were classic initial outbreak symptoms.

Within 4 days of contact, I had a fever and flu-like aches and pains. On day 5, I noticed the blisters, but initially thought it was extremely infected hair follicles due to shaving the pubic area.

Then, those blisters started to cause a "prickley" feeling when they came into contact with anything at all. And I began investigating and found more blisters, and the others were on the more tissue-y type skin and I knew then something was WRONG!!!

The blisters starting to burst one by one, leaving open sores that were extremely painful! They hurt to sit, to stand, to walk, and certainly if anything touched them. Heck, they hurt just sitting still!

There was burning during urination, and burning at the sites of the sores. It felt as if I could feel and distinguish the pain from each individual affected area.

And the fever never relented, it was days after receiving antiviral meds and antibiotics before the fever finally went away.

However, some folks do not have such pronounced symptoms. My understanding is that it really depends on how quick your immune system kicks in with those precious little antibodies.

Someone else may have only had a single blister and no fever or flu-like symptoms and would have easily dismissed it as being nothing to worry about.

Oh, and I have to giggle about the weird sensations you were talking about, because that has been my experience during the healing process.

See my other post titled: Let the healing begin...but what are all of these weird sensations.

I say if it makes YOU feel better, sure... get tested again.
But don't obsess about it, as there is likely NOTHING to worry about. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 am 

Goodmorning sweethalo !

I hope you had a goodnight ! Thank you for sharing with me your symptoms. I'm sorry you had to go through all that =(. I hope all is better with you now =). I think I might go in just to be sure but i'll try my hardest not to stress over it (it will probably only make things worse).Hehehe i have to say that you had me giggling as well when i read your previous post about the tingling feeling turning you on. The feeling I experiance just kind of freaks me out cause it feels like aunts are crawling on my testicles/rectum area but i mostly feel it when siting down and it comes and goes. How are things with your significant other ? My thoughts are with you.

Oz

P.s

Thank you for the comforting words !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:08 pm 

I'm not a doctor but I did play it a lot growing up ;) I do work in the medical profession but I am here as just a fellow person with herpes helping others with herpes not in any professional way. I have been doing online herpes info for quite a few years now and try very hard to keep my info accurate and up to date.

Try to relax about all this :) Just because it's in your genital area doesn't mean it's due to herpes or even any other "typical" std. Move past those fears and get back to enjoying life :) It's not much different than if you kissed a stranger passionately and then a few days later came down with strep throat or a cold - it doesn't mean that they were carrying around "bad" germs that made you sick - it means that they had different germs in their body than you did and your body wasn't able to fight them off and they caused illness in your body. Same thing happens with oral sex - maybe the mouth flora of one person isn't an issue for you when you receive oral sex but then the mouth flora of someone else causes you to have a genital infection that needs treated. Yes technically it's sexually transmitted but it's not one of the usual suspects that we worry about. The more you keep worrying about it all the more you tense up all your muscles and become overly focused on what's going on in between your legs and before you know it's a circle that is hard to break.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 pm 

Hey betsy !

I am thankful for people like you on this forum..you have shed some light on this fearful mind of mine. I will try my hardest to take your advice and get all these mind playing thoughts away from my head. I'll probably go in, in a few weeks for another check up/testing just to put my mind at rest.. what do you think ? ..also if you dont mind i ask how long have you been hsv positive ? I hope the sun is shining bright on your side of the world !

Best regards
Oz !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:34 am 

I've had hsv2 for 21 years now.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:20 pm 

Hello betsy !

I hope your having a good day so fare.... this whole experiance has taught me alot ! From all the heavy research for the past 7 wks to speaking with people like yourself and sweethalo. I will most definatly be careful with my orale infection (looks like no more performing orale sex for me)...is there anything you might suggest that i can do to limit even more so the possiblity of me infecting a partner if i do ever decide to perform orale again ? Thank you in advance for your time and advice !

oZ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:26 am 

Hi Oz,

I just wanted to chime in here...

I don't think that you should eliminate the practice of performing oral sex...not at all. That would be like saying you should never kiss anyone again due to the risk of oral infection - what kind of life would that be!!??!!

While it is very possible for someone to contract a genital infection of HSV type 1 from having genital to oral contact with you, it certainly isn't going to happen every time. In fact, I have been in a relationship with my SO for 2 1/2 years, and I wasn't infected until now.

I had just shaved my pubic area, then received oral sex from my partner (who had no idea he was infected). I believe this little virus, being picky about its location, would not have caused my infection without the broken skin from shaving. :(

You have to remember that the virus is inactive more than it is active. So there are maybe only a few days over the course of a year when you could infect someone without having any symptoms.

Also, anyone who already has a HSV type 1 oral infection, has significant protection from a genital infection due to the antibodies produced by their immune system to the virus. Maybe Betsy can give you the stats, the % of people that are already positive for HSV type 1 is HIGH!!

And, if you so choose, taking an antiviral medication everyday, can reduce the risk of transmission by 50%! And being that the risk is already very low, cutting that risk percentage by half leaves little chance of infecting someone.

You are the only one who can best decide how to handle your own individual situation.

I would suggest before doing anything that could put your partner at risk of infection, that you just be honest about the risk factors and share what you have learned about HSV infections.

And considering the percentage of Americans that are positive for type 1 & type 2, chances are that your partner has already came into contact with someone who is positive, and may not even know it.

Your partner should appreciate the fact that you know your status and that you cared enough for their health to be honest.

A partner who is worth your attention and affections, will take the time to educate themself and realize that the risk is low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 am 

Hello and Happy Friday,

The HSV-1 rate in most adults is over 40-50%. BesteyB, HSV enemy #1 ,may have the actual %. Hi BesteyB and I'm sure if you remembered but the cornstarch sugesstion you gave me helps out a lot especially when I work out. Thanks :D

PS- It was the monistat thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:55 pm 

Hey Sweethalo !

Good to hear from you :D feel free to chime in any time.. I hope you have been having a lovely friday so fare. I thank you for the advice ! And you are right I shouldn't exclude my self from performing orale sex.. i just want to keep my partner as safe as possibe (if she doesnt already have it) Although she might from kissing and sharing foods/drinks with me . Should i worry about contracting it genitaly if i possibly gave it to her oraly (from kissing) and then she performs orale on me ? (i'm sorry if this question gets asked alot). Antiviral medication sounds like a plan =) ...would any of you guys be able to tell me the priceing range on these products and do i have to have a prescription to buy them ? I life with out kissing would be horrible...for a kiss is the sweetes of all things !

My best regards and warmest hugs are with all of you

Oz !

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next