ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: HSV 1 AND HSV- 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:17 pm 

Ok Question.. I was just told February that I have HSV2 so Im new to this... Ok If I was to receive oral when not in an outbreak what are the chance s of my un-infected partner getting 2 orally?

Post subject: As best as I know...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:29 pm 

Hi Sweet ~

I am certainly not the guru that some of the other posters are on this subject... but from my understanding of reading the articles posted on ASHA, the chances are low, if we are speaking percentage wise. And, even less if you are taking an antiviral medication every day.

I think, as I understand it, as far as this virus popping up out of its place of preference, HSV type 1 genitally is more likely to occur than is HSV type 2 orally, but it is still possible.

And, after the experience that I've had, I would advise anyone to always err towards the side of caution...again if you were to infect someone else, you would not enjoy being on the receiving end of that phone call...

But hang loose and let one of the more educated folks confirm this before you go doing anything crazy... he he he

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 am 

If you have hsv2 and your partner doesn't - then you might want to consider daily suppressive therapy to lower their risk all around no matter what it is you are doing. You can check out asha's info, the herpes handbook and also the valtrex website for more info on this if you aren't familiar with it yet.

To greatly simplify it - hsv2 doesn't "like" the oral area. It can infect there but it doesn't do so often. Only about 3% of all oral herpes infections are due to hsv2. Obviously avoid letting a partner perform oral on you whenever you have an active ob or feel like one might be coming on of course. Also if your partner is more comfortable with barrier protection you can discuss using either oral dams, dental dams or even saran wrap to reduce their risk even more ( saran wrap is cheapest and the thinnest and if folks ask why you keep it in the bedroom - just tell them your secret to soft tootsies is to smother your feet in vaseline and then wrap them in saran wrap before bed....he he he ).

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:36 am 

I have asked my Dr. to put me on valtrx daily and she said NO, she wants to wait for multiple outbreaks.. I think this is stupid. I am not sexually active right now anyway, but....
I have a lot of anger from this... "gift" I was given by my ex.. I found out the day he moved out, he was cheating... I knew that he had it 18yrs ago but back then they said no ob then no transission and he never kept up on the news of it and neither did I. So here I am single with a "gift" and not sure how to deal with this or how to tell.. I met this guy we had dated for about aweek and then sex was coming into play and told him..he BOLTED... So I guess I will have to be single forever...
thanks for your posts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 pm 

It's not really your doctor's choice to make you wait to see when you can start suppressive therapy. If it's something you are interested in they should be prescribing it for you. You don't have to wait for a magic number of ob's before it's worthwhile. Your doctor is pretty behind the times in her thinking :( If she won't prescribe it for you to help reduce ob's, reduce the chances of transmitting the virus to a potential future partner and just for all around peace of mind- then it's time to find a doctor who is more up to date on herpes treatment.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]