ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: deciphering test results
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 pm 

i've always had hsv 1 as a kid, now i'm 47 and have always had myself tested for stds every 6 months or so. my previous dr's told me if i tested for hvs i would show a positve anyway, so basically don't bother. my new dr had me tested for hsv anyway and i was tested hvs 2igg and my results were positve and i was a 5.7, on a score of what? what does that mean? are there more specific tests to determine wether i have 1 or 2? like a dumb ass i had unprotected sex with the same partner 2 times in the past few months. does this mean i recently contracted it or have i had it awhile? i have a dr's appt. tomorrow to go over the results but i am making myself insane, please help me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:22 pm 

Condoms are not 100% protection against transmission of herpes ( or hpv ). You could've contracted hsv2 from any sex partner you've ever had since you weren't ever tested before for it.

Your hsv2 igg was 5.7? If so it only means you are positive - you can' t ascertain anything other than that from it. Since it's over 3.5 it's not likely to be a false positive due to your hsv1 oral infection so there's no real need for additional testing.

Take the time to read the info here on herpes as well as read the herpes handbook and watch the patient counseling video over at www.westoverheights.com under the herpes section. All are good resources for you to learn more about herpes at.

let us know how else we can help you :)

betsy

Post subject: deciphering test results
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:59 am 

thank-you betsy for repling to my frantic plea. i'm ready to kill my partner, thinking it's all his fault. i still might. i am going to the dr. today and i will let you know what she says. could i have hsv 1 and not hvs2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:20 am 

You already know you have hsv1 orally since you were a kid. You are very unlikely to contract it genitally later on. Your hsv2 test result was well over the false positive value so it's pretty darn likely that yes you do have hsv1 orally and hsv2 genitally.

It's not a reason to kill your partner though! Yes it's ok to be angry initially but it's far too common of a virus to go to jail for ;) You have no idea how long you've had this. If your partner tests negative for hsv2 then you know it's far longer than you've ever suspected.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:33 pm 

hi,well i talked to my gyno. this morning before my other dr's appt.she told me i was over reacting and that the reason they do not do blood tests is because if you have the herpes virus you are going to show positive anyway. if i break out (which i never have yet) then they would want to do a culture on it. then they can confirm that you have 1 or 2. looking at my results i had the igg and the igm she said one is acute(igm) meaning that if it was positive that i had contracted it recently. it was negative) the igg means chronic and that i have had it for a while. i also had chicken pox as a kid. once you have the herpes virus you have it for life, which i've always known. i have always been careful of doing ANYTHING while having a cold sore. i haven't had one in over a year maybe two. the test i had done also said on the report that ,positive indicates antibodies deteced to hsv-2, coinfection with hsv-1 cannot be excluded without specific testing. something else about the igg said that it cannot discriminate between hsv-1 and hsv-2 infection due to a high cross reactivity between the two viruses yadayada yada so i basically had two different dr's state the same thing as well as my insurance 24 hr hotline. what do you think of this? oh yeah and definetly practice safe sex!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:24 am 

It sounds like your doctor doesn't truly understand herpes blood testing :( I"m not sure if she even ordered the right test on you from your last post. Please get a copy of the results and post them here. If it only gave 1 result for the igg then you might need more testing. If it gave 2 seperate results - ie hsv1 igg 7.1 and hsv2 igg 5.7 then you had the right test done. the igm should've never been drawn on you in the first place ( tons of posts here explainin why not ).

The type specific herpes igg blood tests do differeniate between hsv1 and hsv2. I think your doctor is confused and is thinking of the older, non-type specific tests :(

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:31 pm 

hi betsy, yes the thought that my dr'snot being correct has crossed my mind, i am not in denial as much as i would like to be, so i am making an appt for a second opinion and a physical exam with my gyno. maybe there is something that i cannot see. i don't want to jump the gun and inform my last sex partner yet. i would like conclusive proof that i do have it. i wish they could tell how long i might have had it. i did talk to my last serious long-term boyfriend and he had gotten married last year. he told me he had to have std testing for the license and he was negative. i had my test done at labcorp, the only thing it says is hsv-2 igg, type specific.... 5.7 high, hsv,igm 1/2 combinaton was negative. it doesn't say anything else.all my other results hiv, hepa,b,c,negative stds rpr non-reactive,hbsag screen negative.(whatever that is) i was in such a state at the dr's office that i did'nt really discuss everything else or maybe i didn't hear her.anyway i hope this helps you . don't forget about the note at the bottom which stated about the coinfection with hsv-1 cannot be excluded. blah, blah. thanks sister for everything i will await your reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:05 am 

I doubt your ex got tested for herpes with his marriage license - no state I know of requires it be done. usually it's just syphillis and gonorrhea. Most places don't test for hsv as you've found out yourself with your own doctor's attitude towards testing :(

Lab corp's default herpes test is an ok test - I'm not sure of the false positive rate with it to be honest. usually anything over 3.5 is not a false positive but if you feel the need repeat the test with the herpes select igg for hsv1 and hsv2 or the herpes western blot test. You could also get a biokit test for hsv2 too if your doctor offers it. All 3 of the tests I mentioned have lower false positive rates than the lab corp test. Why not retest just so you are covering the bases and go from there? you can get a herpes select igg thru lab corp. Your doctor would want to order test # 163147 since you already know you have hsv1 you only need to test for hsv2.

the hbsag test was a test for hepatitis.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:16 am 

this ain't over till the fat lady sings,, one way or the other. more testing to follow. monday i have 3 dr's on the list. old ones and new ones. i have to lay this to rest because i'm actually giving myself panic attacks. i'll be fine for a little bit then this fear starts welling up inside, i feel like i'm burning up and i can't breathe. please don't be offended by my next question., betsy you seem so knowledgable about this subject, are you a Dr. or a nurse? in the medical field? i really can't thank you enough for being there for me. i want to make sure i'm doing the right thing. thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:27 pm 

I played a lot of doctor growing up ;)

I do work in the medical field but I am here as merely one gal with herpes trying to help another. I am not here in any official medical capacity and am not employed by asha. I also do not receive any funds from any pharmacutical company ( while I'm playing true confessions!! ).

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:32 pm 

hi betsy, thank-you for your support. can i ask you some personal questions? how's your love life? are you with one person? (so) how do you handle your potential partners? i've only been with two guys in two years on a sort of regular basis. i know this sounds crass, but sort of like bc's. no real commitment , and i'm finally at a time in my life where i don't want a relationship because of the drama and now i have this drama. I finally have figured out that it's ok to be by yourself, personal growth time, and now this, it sucks. what about oral? i have done that on both the guys. that is something that i always enjoyed doing. if your having intercourse and oral, wouldn't i have some kind of break out ? on my mouth? so how do you handle all of this? i'm sorry, i just have so many questions. if this is too personal you don't have to reply i will understand. thanks again for your friendship. you just seem like you have it so together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:49 pm 

betsy,
i'm sorry, i have over stepped my bounds. forgive me please. it was rude of me to try and delve into your personal life.i'm just not sure how to handle myself. i have made another dr. appt for friday with my gyno so she and i will talk about it in depth . thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:06 am 

oh no you didn't step over the bonds at all! I just didn't notice that you had asked me questions...lol. I'm very open about everything about herpes in my life :)

In the 21 years i've had hsv2 I've only ever had 1 fellow decide it wasn't worth the risk. Everyone else has been very accepting of it. there isn't ANYTHING I haven't done just because I have herpes ( I sound like such a perv when I write that...he he he ok so maybe I am but still... ). I think I have a very healthy sex life though of course at the moment I don't have a partner so it's a tad boring...he he he I stay on daily suppressive therapy for multiple reasons - one of which is that it reduces the chances of transmitting it to a partner. I still give and receive oral sex. I even have unprotected sex when my partner is comfortble with it. so every now and then I have to say get out the board games or something and avoid sex for a few days - not a big deal.

Hang in there - it will get easier :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 pm 

hi betsy, sorry i have been out of pocket. went to the gyno last week, we had a long talk, a total physical, and she even scraped some cells from a spot,she did not think it was herps, (she also worked for the health dept for 20 years and has seen EVERYTHING.) well it came back negative. i'm so thankfull for that! i suppose i could have more test but she thinks i should chill out for now. unless i get a outbreak, she couldn't see anything past or present (like scars where i could have an outbreak internally or even externally) what's your take on this? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 pm 

Most people do not have visible scars from prior ob's. You've tested + for hsv2. I'd assume you have it and take precautions with future partners. Encourage them to get tested too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next