ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: newly diagnosed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:20 am 

He, I am new to this... I was diagnosed with HSV-1. I have been monogamous and married for 13 years. My husband has always had cold sores, and I never really worried about it. First outbreak was horrible. My doctor put in a catheter for 3 days because I was in excrutiating pain while urinating. I have finished the valtrex, taken diflucan for yeast, and have a RX for intermittent therapy. I am just petrified of the next OB. I am still having weird nerve like sensations in my genital area. I still dont "feel right" is this normal? Thanks to Betsty..... I used the dermoplast(Blue can) it was my savior. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:41 pm 

Yep I love my dermoplast! We use it for everything here - sore hoo hoo's, sore boo boo's - it's good for many body parts!!

Hopefully your hsv1 genital ob's will be few and far between. ~50% of folks who have hsv1 genitally never get another ob. Of those who do - the average is 1 additional ob the first year and then 1 ob every other year. Not many folks get them more often. Since your husband has hsv1 orally - just avoiding sex during genital symptoms in yourself should be all the precautions you need to take.

Give your genitals a little extra tlc for the next couple of weeks. Sounds like you had a doozy of a first ob :( Try soaking in the tub for comfort perodically and go bottomless when you can so you have less friction on your genital area ( sundresses are nice for that in the hot summer as well as over sized tee's around the house ). Don't hesitate to keep using the dermoplast periodically as well as you can take advil several times a day too to help decrease inflammation and control pain. If your lingering oddball sensations get worse - return to your doctor to make sure you don't have a vaginitis - either yeast or bacteria going on too. You've already treated for yeast once but sometimes they can be persistant little buggers :(

Hope you are feeling back to normal soon :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:07 pm 

Thanks I will do that. I really appreciate all your info. This board has been my lifesaver these last few weeks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]