ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: nerve damage?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:11 pm 
Hi group,
I have been relatively outbreak free for several years (I've had herpes 2 for ~30 years). I drink coffee daily, enjoy chocolate often and work in the sun on weekends. These are historically considered "bad things" for H but it hasn't significantly affected my health. However, in the last month, I have had two violent episodes.
In the first one I was frustrated with a teenager and slapped his shoulder. He hit me back with such force I was knocked to the ground and shaken up. I had the worst outbreak I have ever had right after this. I was prescribed with Famvir (my first anti-viral) and things were clearing up when I had another episode, this time as I was driving and another driver cut me off. I laid on the horn which upset my wife which led to an argument and I slapped her shoulder, too. I am not typically violent. I don't usually hit as a means of communicating; I see it as entirely inappropriate. In these two cases, howevr, which bookend my outbreak, I was extremely frustrated and moved to physical violence.
My question is this: since herpes resides in the nervous system, can it degrade the nerves to the extent that it leads to not only an outbreak but a breakdown? I'm not trying to find an excuse or explain away my actions, but I have been much edgier since this last outbreak.
I'm wondering if any of you have used stress relieving remedies or drugs with any success.
Thanks for your input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:10 pm 

A few studies show that stress is a trigger for recurrences but most show that stress isn't. My theory on it is - it's different for everyone. It sounds like you've had a heck of a bad month :( Hopefully now that all of this is over your ob's will go back to a dull roar as before. It doesn't sound like nerve damage or anything else - it's just herpes being herpes. It often has a nasty sense of humor and figures well why not make 'em feel even more miserable than they feel already - let's reactivate and make their private parts hurt on top of it all :(

Hope you are feeling better soon!

betsy

Post subject: Re: nerve damage?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:49 pm 

pvt wrote:
....since herpes resides in the nervous system, can it degrade the nerves to the extent that it leads to not only an outbreak but a breakdown? I'm not trying to find an excuse or explain away my actions, but I have been much edgier since this last outbreak.
I'm wondering if any of you have used stress relieving remedies or drugs with any success. ..

I don't think and have not experienced any nerve degradation or damage due to Herpes, but I do get prodrome pain and/or tingling before and sometimes during an outbreak. Sounds like you are very stressed out by your Herpes which is understandable, but you have to learn to control your stress. Sometimes this is also difficult for me, I am kinda hot tempered, but haven't hit anybody due to this even though I felt like it.

I haven't tried any stress relieving drugs other than alcohol and that sometimes seems to be a possible trigger for recurrences.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]