ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:59 pm 

I've been having a problem and would like to know if anyone has had the same. If so, what solutions have you all found??

I'm now 20 and have had herpes since I was 16. After the first outbreak, which I treated with Valtrex, I rarely had any outbreaks at all. If I did they were one or two tiny itchy bumps that were totally gone in 2 days. I was incredibly stressed at the time, working 2 jobs, not eating right, and very much underweight.
Now, I'm a healthy weight, I eat better foods, am not stressed, and generally doing all the right things to make my body stronger to overcome this disease. However, I've had constant, extremely aggressive outbreaks for the last 4-5 months and nothing will make it go away. I've changed my diet, taken Olive Leaf Extract and Oregano Oil, tried creams, taken a five-day course of Valaciclovir (generic Valtrex that I can obtain sans perscription here) changed my clothes, my habits, my soap, anything and everything I could think of.

I am still unable to kick this outbreak!! Please, if anyone can help me, I'm at my wits end and battling the beginning stages of depression over this. What can I possibly do??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:08 pm 

Hey C,

You may want to go to your OB/GYN or doctor if you haven't done so already to see what is going on. You could be having another issue on top of the herpes that is agrravating everything. Keep in mind that Herpes is a "sleeper" virus so once it wakes up again, it can cause you lots and lots of issues. Also women can have dermatitis and other vaginal conditions that can cause an outbreak to occur.

Also have you ever typed your Herpes Outbreak? If not get a Herpes Select test done. Also you stated you were buying generic Valtrex without a prescription. Make sure what you are buying is the real drug. There is a huge fake drug scam that has been going on and many people are buying placebos instead of the actual pill.

It is also possible to have Herpes outbreaks one right after another. But again go see someone who specializes in STD treatment or even a planned parenthood. You can even request a skin biopsy to see if there is something else underlying that could be causing your problems as well. Perfect example, my sister has bad allergies and when she has reactions on her vagina, she thougt it was Herpes. True she did have HSV-1 but she also had contact dermatitis. Once the doctor found that out, he was able to treat her and withing a week she was back to nromal. Make that appointment sweetie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:52 pm 

I totally 2nd isis's post! go be seen and get a full work up to see what is going on. Get tested for yeast and bacterial infections too. While there ask about daily suppressive therapy - it does a lot more than just treating each ob when it happens.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:16 pm 

X3 :)

However over past year (starting last summer) and now this summer too, I've also had outbreaks twice a month or at least once a month! Aaaaargh! I too generally eat well and exercise frequently by riding my mountain bike. This exercise has made me much stronger and I could ride for three hours non-stop last summer, in 105'F and above temperatures! It gets very hot here in summer although not real humid, like some places. I often don't get enough sleep though because I'm always doing something, reading, exercising, hobbies, surfing the net, watching tv etc. However, I've been this way for years, getting six to seven hours sleep per night except on weekends and days off I get eight to ten hours usually.

I shower with not too hot water, change my clothes, wear bike shorts when biking, but still have more outbreaks than I've ever had. I've had Herpes since 1986. I have much more stress now due to the responsibility of raising my family...but that is not a recent life change either.

About a month ago I finally went to see my family physician...I hate to go...so embarrassing and a hassle. He put me on one year of suppressive therapy with 400mg Acyclovir twice daily, but I don't want to have to keep taking pills. Anybody have suggestions?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]