ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:07 pm 

just found out that a small red irritated area close to my genital area may be Herpes. I went for my annual on Tuesday, I told the NP that I have been experiencing an irritation, as she examined me I was so nervous that I was going to hear the words come out of her mouth and it did, she said it looks like H, she did a culture and told me that it may come back negative and to wait a few weeks to take a bloodtest. I am so consumed with thoughts of who, when, how long could I have had it. I do now recall feelling a deep itch in the same area going back a month but I had just had a wax in the area so didn't think much of it. I have been in a log distance relationship since November but have been with the guy since June 06. we do not use condoms, I have always been tested for stds every 6 to 8 months and I have always been fine. my last testing was in Oct. I have hooked up with 2 different guys but there was no intercourse. my bf was traveling overseas for 2 months and I am sure he was not faithful when he returned he came to see me right away and it had to be a month after that I started feeling that itch because I went to visit him at the same time I remember feeling the itch. I see him on tuesday and I have to tell him, I am having such anxiety about how he is going to react and how to tell him, what to say! I can't stop thinking about it, I haven't really been my normal self, I don't want to work, be w friends or do anything for that matter. I havn't gotten the results back yet, how long does it take for a culture? I am making an appt for both of us to get a blood test when I am there next week do you think that I have waited enough time for proper results? one more thing, when he came back from his trip overseas he had this rash on both inner thigh up to the underneath of his testicles it was there for 2 months or more he said it did not itch or burn or anything, is it possible that could have been H? sorry I am all over the place with this but I have so many thoughts and concerns! I feel sooo alone about this, I want to tell him now but I think I should wait to tell him in person....any advice? I am so in love with this man and I am so afraid this is going to be awful!! I'm freaking pretty much!! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:49 am 

A rash that lasts 2 months isn't likely to be due to herpes. Sounds more like a fungal infection or something.

Both of you getting a type specific herpes igg blood test is a good idea next week. It will help you figure out who has what. It might not answer who gave it to whom but it is a place to start.

Lesion cultures can be back in as little as 48 hours. It all depends on the lab and the way they report to the clinic and the procedure the clinic uses to report to a patient. Give them a call monday and see if it's back yet or not. If they only tell you it's + for herpes - ask them if it was typed for hsv1 or hsv2. If it wasn't typed - first cuss at them and then ask them if they can please call the lab and see if they still have the specimen to get it typed ( ok so maybe ask them to get it typed first then cuss at them...he he he ) . It should be automatic that they order typing because type really does matter and don't let them try to tell you any differently ( if they do - just cuss a little more...he he he ).

Once you know who has what ( that's if you even have herpes in the first place but unfortunately that can take up to 3 months to figure out ) you can better figure this all out hopefully. We'll gladly help you with your test results too - just post the numerical results - ie hsv1 igg 4.2 and hsv2 igg .23 or whatever they are.

So how do you talk to your man about all this? Just the same way you talked to us about it. Tell him you were at the gyn's this week and your gyn was pretty sure you had a herpes lesion and you are waiting for your test results to come back and that both of you need further testing to see who has what so you know what precautions to take from here on out. The info here at asha is very helpful and so is the herpes handbook and patient counseling video at www.westoverheights.com. You and your bf should both read thru them and watch the video to learn more about this together.

Hang in there - it's a lot to go thru right now but it will get better :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:18 pm 

thank you Betsy! I haven't been able to stop crying or thinking about this! my ob wasn't very bad considering what I have read. I have been reading and reading everything I can and even though I haven't gotten the results I just know it is h. I would imagine the itch feeling is when it has woken up? that was a month ago that I felt that weird itch that wouln't go away. and now I have what looks like little paper cuts, what do you consider the lengh of an outbreak? from the time you have the itch or the sores? I do get cold sores on my lips every now and again does that mean that my obs will be milder than if I did not have hsv1?
I really don't know what to do with myself, I feel so alone right now with noone to talk to except for this message board so thank you for supporing me. I am really having a hard time with this emotionally. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:57 pm 

Did the gyn also check you for yeast and bacterial infections? Not just a visual inspection but examining your vaginal secretions under the microscope? Your symptoms also sound very suspicious for vaginitis which can cause the same exact symptoms you have described. An itch for a month and skin cuts is often due to vaginitis - either bacterial or fungal ( yeast ).

Yes a history of hsv1 orally can take the edge off a newly acquired hsv2 infection and make symptoms milder. things that can help are soaking in the tubby with either a packet of aveeno bath thrown in or some epsom salts or even baking soda is helpful to soften the water and soothe the skin. Another option is 2 cups of vinegar thrown in the water - that too is helpful if you don't have anything else handy ( though not the most pleasant smell unless you are a big fan of pickles! ). I'm a big fan of dermoplast spray ( the blue can for the genital area not the red can ). It's a topical anesthetic you can spray on for itching/pain and you don't ever have to touch your lesions with it. It's also good for all sorts of other boo boo's too all over your body. Anyone sees it in your bathroom it's easy to explain too! You can find it almost anywhere and usually it's under $10.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:49 pm 

Betsy! thank you for your attention and quick responses, I am so crazy in my head right now! I hope to god it is vaginitis!! you just eased my mind a bit with a little glimmer of hope! maybe his fungal rash on his thighs spread to me, is that possible? the gyno did a pap as well she did not say anything about checking for yeast or fungus.... would the pap results reflect that? I am so appreciative for you right now!! thank you again!

Post subject: question?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:26 pm 

besy since you told me it could be a bacterial or yeast, I was researching about fungal infections, and the area of concern also seems to have the same symptoms of athlete's foot or swimmers itch, you can get athlete's foot around the groin. yesterday I still had the little cuts, today it is healed no scabbing but resembles dry skin patch, no redness, still a bit itchy. my question is....do h lesions always scab over? or is it possible for them to just disappear like that? obviously havn't gotten results of culture yet. but I am feeling better about everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:24 pm 

I think when folks read about genital lesions scabbing over - they automatically think of when they skin their knee and what those kinds of scabs look like. It's not often you'll get obvious scabs like that on your genital area - depends on where the lesions are. I know in myself unless my lesions are on my butt cheek - they kinda just ulcerate and then disappear ( similar to mouth ulcers if you've ever had those ).

Hang in there - hopefully you'll get answers to all this soon :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:35 am 

hi betsy I got a negative culture result, which was great but I know there is a 50 percent chance it can be wrong so I took the igg bloodtest the following week just to be safe and I am waiting for the results....the talk with my boyfriend went surprisingly well and he was very supportive and understanding about the situation. I would have never been able to get through this without this message board and your words of encouragement. thank you. and I will keep your posted with the resuts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:12 pm 

hi betsy

just wanted to let you know I got a negative igg bloodtest!! I got a second opinion as well and the doc said that it was a fungal infection. I am so relieved....I want to thank you again for your support and your knowledge, you really helped me cope in my time of craziness!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 am 

GREAT news!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]