ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:54 pm 

I was hoping someone could shed some light on a situation myself and my girlfriend are in.
She suffers from coldsores, and is on supressive medication for them. She rarely breaks out these days. I was doing fine - as in no symptoms until a few weeks ago when I developed something on my gentials. I went to the doctor who told me it was herpes. He took a sample to preform a clture test and the results for that came back as negative. Seeing as my sypmtoms were very similar to herpes, and the zovirax cream i'd been using on it was working, we assumed that the culture test result was a false negative. So, my doctor took 2 blood samples to perform more tests. A week later these results came back, and over the phone my Doctor told me I had tested positive for BOTH hsv-1 and hsv-2!!

This was devestaing news seeing as I had begun to get my hopes up from the results of the culture test, and the worst news I was expecting was a positive for one!!
Anyway, I went to my Doctor's office and picked up a copy of my test results and what I found has confused me no end.
It turns out the 2 blood test that were performed were the IGM and the IGG.

The result of the IGM was 1 : 1.83 (positive)

The results of the IGG were both 1 : 0.89 (negative)

So im confused as to how my Doctor drew the conclusion that I had BOTH hsv-1 and hsv-2

I realise that the positive IGM test suggests that I do have the herpes virus in my body, and that the relatively short time it's been since I got the infection could explain the negative IGG results... but how does this add up to positive for hsv-1 and hsv-2 in the Doctor's opinion?

I hope someone can help shed some light on this for me. I can handle it if i have one of the two strains... but to have picked up both 1 and 2 is really hard to come to terms with. Especially as both of us are completely monogamous and have been together for nearly 2 years.

Any help or similar stories are hugely appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:41 pm 

First of all positive igm herpes test results mean bupkus. You can't ascertain anything from them and they shouldn't be even drawn on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.

So your hsv1 igg was .89 and your hsv2 igg was also .89 is that correct?

Has your gf had a type specific herpes igg blood test yet to know her full status?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:47 pm 

That is correct on the ratios... both below 0.9 and were labeled negative?
So we assumed that this means that the infection is too new to show up?

She is going in for a blood test this afternoon. I guess we'll have that info in a few days.

I've been trying to read up on both of these types of testing and from wht i've been reading it does seem like the IGM test is worthles except to show that herpes is present.

I'm just puzzled and worried at the conclusion drawn by my doctor that a positive IGM and a negative IGG on both types means that I have both hsv-1 and hsv-2 :(

this news has put an enourmous amount of strain on our relationship. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:41 pm 

once she gets her test results you might be able to better figure this out.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]