ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:58 pm 

I accidentally sipped from a straw belonging to a friend who was showing cold sores on the lips. I sipped once for about 1 second before I realized it wasn't my drink. I basically sat around the rest of the day not washing my mouth or anything.

I didn't think about the cold sores until the next morning. In the meantime, I had kissed my wife and little daughter on the lips several times.

What are the chances I became infected with oral herpes and what are the chances I passed it to my family? I am very concerned.

Also, how long will it take for an outbreak or for me to know about me and my family?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:26 am 

As an adult - oral herpes is almost exclusively contracted thru good old fashioned smooching. You are very unlikely to contract hsv1 orally thru sharing a sip from a drink as you've described.

Even if you and your wife can't recall ever having a cold sore - chances are good that at least one of you is hsv1+ anyways. It's far more common than most folks think and the vast majority of folks don't get obvious cold sores to even know they are infected.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]