ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:08 am 

Hello everye I am new here and a am so confused

on 07/25/2007 I took HSV1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG with labcorp
and both test came back positive then 4 days later on 07/28/07 I took a BiokitHSV-2 and it came negative. I went back to the doctor that did the Biokit and he said the biokit is more accurate and he did a physical exam and he said that he believed i am HSV2 negative. My last exposure was 12.3 days from labcorps test and 12.6 days from the biokit test. am i negative of positive for hsv2! :cry:

these are the readings with labcorp
HSV I IgG, Type spec
Results 5.8
Negative <0.9
Equivocal 0.9 - 1.0
Positive >1.0

and the
HSV II IgG, Type spec
Results 2.1
Negative <0.9
Equivocal 0.9 - 1.0
Positive >or=1.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:23 am 

I already responded to this over on medhelp under my gracefromhhp name over there :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:40 pm 

Sorry, I'm new, Where is the information about how to interpret this test?

Thanks! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:57 am 

I actually am trained to interpret the test results. We don't have any info here on asha about how to do it. I'll gladly take a look at your test results for you if you want to post the numeric values here.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:10 am 

Ok, I'm actually researching on behalf of a friend of mine. She had the Herpeselect test and the HSV 2 result was 1.85.

I understand that is positive but it seems like a low positive. I've heard anything lower than 2 or 3 isn't a definite positive. What do you think? Would you recommend that he retests?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:34 pm 

Also, unrelated to my friend but about testing, I've heard that you can test accurately for herpes at 2-4 weeks with the Herpeselect test and only in rare cases does it take a full 3 months to show up.

What's your take on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:10 pm 

Your friend needs to seek out additional confirmatory testing. If it was less than 3 months since the last time she had had sex - she can just retest with the herpes select. If it's been more than that time - find out if her doctor uses quest labs. If so then she wants the herpes inhibition assay - test #17170. Otherwise a herpes wb or another confirmatory test is in her best interest. Also what was her hsv1 result?

About half of folks newly infected will test + by the 2-3 week mark after infection. The majority of folks will have seroconverted to test accurately by the 3 month mark which is why we recommend waiting that long so you don't have to go thru multiple tests.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:06 pm 

Just to be clear, why does she need confirmatory testing? Because of the low number? How high would it have to be to not need another test?

What is the herpes inhibition assay? I've never heard of it.

Her HSV 1 was <0.90 so that's negative.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:06 pm 

The rate of false positives is highest in folks who have results less than 3.5. Her result is low enough that it's worthwhile doing some follow up testing to confirm that it is truly a positive result. It would really suck if she really didn't have hsv2 but assumed she did and had a hsv2+ partner and took no precautions and ended up with hsv2 anyways don't you think?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:54 pm 

Hello Betsy It's me Stupid28 again.

Do you think it would be possible to be HSV2 positive for a long time (like 13 years) and not know it. Even after having 3 kids and husband being HSV2 negative. Or would my blood test during pregnancy have detected the virus. Or could it be possible that he has just not been infectected?

Just to update the guy I was with 15 weeks ago said he tested HSV2 negative but I did not see his test results and we have stopped talking. I have not had any symptoms other than the pimple a got on the lips of my vagina at 12.5 weeks. But I am so scared since what I have read many people are asymptomatic

Sorry I'm still paranoid! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 pm 

Yes it is possible though from all your testing - if you have hsv2 it's most likely a newly acquired infection since you double checked your low positive with the biokit and it was negative.

They don't routinely test for herpes during pregnancy.

Yeah it's hard to relax about it all when you can't see test results with your own eyes :(

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:12 pm 

Hello Betsy thank you for your response, however I am a bit confused with it. do you mean that it is possible that I may have had it for a long time and it has never been detected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 pm 

So do you think 12.6 weeks was to soon to detect any HSV2 antibodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:53 am 

Your original post says days, not weeks which is why I said what I said. If it was really 12 weeks after the encounter that you had your testing then it's not likely that you have hsv2.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]