ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:21 am 

Just found out yesterday that I have herpes....I will have confirmation via lab results later this week....but the Doc seemed pretty confident. I am devestated beyond words....I am a 46 single mom that has acted reckless in recent months. This is a huge wake up call for me. Thanks for this fabulous forum...I don't feel alone and like a freak anymore thanks to all of your candid comments and thougths. My doc started me on Valtrex yesterday.....2X a day....I feel better today...how many days till I feel alot better? Thank you!!!!!

LL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:28 pm 

Sorry to hear that you are feeling icky right now :( Are you having a lot of pain? You can use a topical anesthetic on your lesions for pain control while waiting for the antivirals to speed healing. I like dermoplast spray myself ( the blue can, not the red can for the genital area ). You can spray it directly on the lesions several times throughout the day for pain/itch relief. Also if you are having a lot of pain, unless you have a medical reason not to, you can alternate tylenol with advil to get pain control comparable to some narcotics - ie 1000mg tylenol at 6am, 600mg advil at 9am, tylenol at noon, advil at 3pm etc. Soaking in the tubby with a packet of aveeno bath thrown in or some epsom salts is also comforting sometimes.

The valtrex should be 1gm twice a day for 10 days. Is that what your doc prescribed? Since this is presumed to be a new infection for you it might take a week or so until you are well on your way to healing and feeling better :( Thankfully recurrences of the virus don't last this long most of the time.

Be sure to check out the info here on asha on herpes and also the herpes handbook and patient counseling video at www.westoverheights.com. They are all filled with terrific info to help you learn more about herpes and how to keep it under control for the most part. Also be sure you find out from your doc if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally. Knowing your type is also important.

betsy

Post subject: Telling
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:09 pm 

Betsy,

Thank you so much for responding!

I am feeling alittle better everyday. I am on 1mg 2X a day for 7 days. Still waiting on the official lab results, but after reading on this forum and from the look on my Doc's face.....I feel pretty certain I know what the result will be. :(

Right now I am dealing with who I need to tell...since this infection seems so tricky and I don't know how long I may have had it......I am not sure who to alert. Any thoughts?? There is a married man invoved and I hate the thought of telling him, but I do feel he needs to know. I feel like I may need to wrap my brain around this for a few days before I drop the bomb. geez........

Anyway, hope everyone is feeling good today! I feel alittle better everday, emotionally and phsyically! Take Special Care to All. LL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 am 

I'd talk about it with whoever your current partner is. No need to go back thru everyone you've been with in the last say year or anything. If this is a newly acquired infection then it's likely to have occured within the last month. If it's just your first obvious recurrence of a previous infection there's no telling how long you've had it so don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out - it's just not worth it.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]