ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 pm 

anybody, esp. Betsey have any thoughts about intermittent therapy vs supressive therapy with valtrex .... I have HSV1 genitally. am now having 2nd OB, majorally less severe than 1st OB.... would appreciate info. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:11 am 

Usually with hsv1 genitally you don't get a lot of bang from your buck with suppressive therapy. Usually they are few and far between. Why not just treat this ob and then play it by ear to decide what to do?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:40 pm 

yep, that is what I am doing, and actually feeling better already. I will play things by ear. Thanks a bunch:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:02 pm 

What about for genital herpes?

I saw the Valtrex ad again today. I'm torn - when I get into another relationship, of course I'll want to reduce transmission risk as much as possible, suggesting suppressive therapy.

However, I don't like the idea of being on meds all the time, fearing that they'll lose their efficacy for me over time.

Betsy, any thoughts on this one? Right now, I'm still on my initial OB doses and my doc provided a prescription only for a future OB (not daily suppressive).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:13 pm 

her question was about genital herpes - just hsv1 genitally, not hsv2. hsv1 genitally doesn't often reoccur and it doesn't shed as much which is why suppressive therapy usually isn't necessary.

Once you find out if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally it will help you make the decision as to how to treat your herpes. The meds do not lose their effectiveness over time - no worries there. I'm actually the biggest fan of suppressive therapy there ever was probably. I don't have time for ob's ( and unfortunately I still have a lot of them ) and I also have always had hsv2 negative partners for my long term relationships so I want to protect them. I've been on suppressive therapy more than I haven't in the 21 years I've had hsv2. It's the right choice for me ( yeah that so sounds like a commercial...lol ). Whether it's the right choice for you is up to you based on what type you have, whether you are in a discordant relationship or not and how many ob's you are having as well as just how much you mind taking pills everyday.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]