ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 pm 

First, I'd like to thank all who contribute to this board, especially Betsy as you put a lot of work into helping and comforting others. Very often we use only forums like this to get through our own crisis. This site has helped me a lot since being (initially) diagnosed yesterday.

I'm a 32 year old guy and I recently ended a long term relationship. Soon afterwards, I met a woman in a different city and we had an instant attraction to one another. We used condoms in our sex, but several days later, I noticed 2 blisters near the base of my penis, where it wasn't covered by the condom. I hoped they were ingrown hairs, but it didn't look like they were healing and looked a lot like pictures on herpes websites, and now they were seeping. I got to a doctor as soon as I could and its her opinion (at least before the tests come back) that its herpes. That same morning, before going to the doctor's office, in fact, several more smaller blisters appeared around the existing ones.

She put me on immediate 800mg dosages of Acyclovir to try to limit the extent of the first OB. It seems to be helping a little. At least the little blisters haven't popped, some have receded, and the existing ones are covering up. I expect the test results back in the next couple of days, but again, its a fairly serious outbreak and I want to be realistic about this.

Like everyone else, I feel many of the same intial emotions of shame, guilt, and ask the "what if's" over and over. However, I don't feel angry towards the woman, we're still friends, and I've notified her about what I've found so she can get checked.

My question is about future relationships. I know I have a lot of personal adjustment to do first before considering a relationship and I've read the Gun Shy thread, but I still can't help but wonder about how its possible that women won't be turned off by me when I share with them my condition?

Can anyone, particularly men, on this site share their personal experiences as they tried to enter new relationships?

(I hope that doesn't sound biased or bigoted - we're all on the same team here. It just seems like, because guys often have to pursue the women that there is a lot of competition out there and I can't imagine a woman taking the chance. I know this reveals a lot of my insecurities, but that's part of the process I'm sure.)

PS - Thanks for letting me air this. It is therapeutic in and of itself just to be able to talk about it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm 

Yeah I understand - I can't pee standing up. I am not worthy...he he he

Sorry to hear that you've been going thru this :( Even though it's an incredibly common virus it's still not something anyone wants to hear that they have. It sounds like you have started educating yourself on how to control it which is the best thing you can do.

What dose of acyclovir are you on? It should be acyclovir 400mg 3x/day for 10 days since this is your first ob. I was unclear what dose you were on by your post.

Not a lot of fellows posting here usually :( Why not go over to the herpes homepage and post in the support folder there? There are also tons of back posts by males talking with other males there with the same questions you have. Windy and rajah at least if no one else are there reguarly and have had hsv2 for over 10 years each and will respond - otherwise it depends on which guys are checking posts as to how many others you'll get. Raj's been married for awhile now but windy is still a happenin guy and will be honest about what it's been like for him.

Let us know how else we can help : )

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm 

Thanks for the response! Thank you also for acknowledging my superiority because I can pee while standing OR sitting!! :P J/K!

Because I was into day 4 of my intial OB, the doctor wanted to attack it with force - so I'm on 800mg of Acyclovir, 4 per day, for 1 week.

For future ones, I have pills of 400mg, 3 x day, for I think a 3 day regimen.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:14 pm 

I have no idea why your doctor chose that dose - it won't make a difference at this point. It also won't hurt though. taking a pill 4x/day totally sucks though.

Recurrences are treated with acyclovir 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days. Both speed healing of lesions the same amount. I think your doc is getting all the different herpes meds and doses mixed up a bit in his/her mind :(

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:47 pm 

Oh - interesting stuff. For this first OB, I'm more than happy to eat these things like candy!!! :D I realize it may not have any physical effect, but mentally it helps! I swear, I look forward to my next dose because at least it feels like I'm doing something to further healing. So I'm not concerned about the dosage and duration.

But your info on the follow-on treatments is interesting. I'll verify my prescription and question the doc if it differs from your guideline. I'd hate to take the lower dosage for a shorter period than recommended.

Bring on the meds!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:56 pm 

Yep - you were right. I was the one who was confused. My follow on dosage is 400mg at 3 times per day for 5 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:45 am 

Yes that's the FDA approved dose for episodic therapy.The shorter dose I mentioned speeds healing of lesions at the same rate - it's just easier to take. It's a generally recognized dose - they just have never sought out official fda approval to list it on the full prescribing info. It comes from this study though:

Clin Infect Dis. 2002 Apr 1;34(7):944-8. Epub 2002 Feb 20. Links

Two-day regimen of acyclovir for treatment of recurrent genital herpes simplex virus type 2 infection.

Wald A, Carrell D, Remington M, Kexel E, Zeh J, Corey L.
Departments of Medicine, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA. annawald@u.washington.edu

The standard course of antiviral therapy for recurrent genital herpes requires administration of multiple doses of medication for 5 days. To assess the efficacy of a shorter course of antiviral therapy, patients with recurrent genital herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) infection were enrolled in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of acyclovir (800 mg given by mouth 3 times per day [t.i.d.]) for 2 days. Of 131 people enrolled in the study, 84 (51 women and 33 men) were observed for >/=1 recurrence and 65 were observed for 2 recurrences, for which the patient was administered the same study drug (acyclovir or placebo). Acyclovir therapy (800 mg given by mouth t.i.d. for 2 days) significantly reduced the duration of lesions (median for acyclovir versus placebo, 4 days versus 6 days; P=.001), episode (4 days versus 6 days; P<.001), and viral shedding (25 hours versus 58.5 hours; P=.04), and it increased the proportion of aborted episodes (P=.029). A 2-day course of acyclovir is a convenient alternative for treatment of recurrent genital herpes.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]