ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:50 pm 

I have been diagnosed via biospy for HPV (genital warts).

Was tested for a number of other STDs at same time and all tests came back negative (chlamydia, gon. syph. etc.)

However, I was not tested for herpes and understand it can be asymptomatic.

Is it worthwhile to be tested for herpes as well? How accurate would test results be; I see some debate on whether or not the tests are accurate?

I have not had any herpes symptoms/outbreaks. I would have last been exposed on April 30, 2007.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:04 pm 

Many medical practioners still say - no symptoms, no known hsv2+ partners, no reason to test. I really disagree with that way of thinking though. From the been there, done that files, it's much better to find out you have hsv2 from a blood test then it is to find out you have it after you've transmitted it to a partner. I'm totally in favor of routine hsv testing for everyone - it beats finding out the hard way anyday!

If you've never been tested for herpes then why not get a blood test while you are already going thru everything else? Then you'll know and won't continue to worry about it. Knowing your hsv1 status is also a good idea so getting tested for both is a good idea to me.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:31 am 

A few months ago I did a full screening of STIs, including herpes. I'm glad I did because I thought I had an HSV-1 outbreak a couple of years ago, but I wasn't sure, but I was negative for both HSV-1 and HSV-2. I wanted my boyfriend at the time to get a full screening for STIs, and he didn't have insurance and found out that it would be over $200 to have herpes testing at the clinic that could accommodate his working hours.

There are free clinics available and most insurances do cover herpes testing. It's good to know either way.

I'm glad I now know that I don't have HSV-1 because I know I need to take precautions with people who do have it, precautions I probably would have ignored otherwise.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:46 am 

Thank you Betsy & Sunny,

I asked my doctor for the Western Blot test and he will be sending me to a clinic sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Really appreciate your advice/experience.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]