ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:20 pm 

Hi. I have been divorced 3 years now. X husband showed me a report during the marriage showing he was positive for herpes I and II. He had a rash at the time of the test. I have had symptoms (both during and after the marriage). Symptoms were itching, tingling, occasional pain, and what I would classify as "cuts" on the vulva area (usually 1 at a time, and maybe only 3 or 4 times total). I assumed I must have herpes as well & have had no sex since the marriage ended. Had a test recently (HerpeSelect) that to my surprise stated negative on both type I and type II. Obviously enough time has passed to make the antibodies show up if they were going to. I have read that antibodies do not generally disappear.... Does anyone have info to support otherwise???
This was surprising b/c of the symptoms, so I have to ask if you think I should definitely get a Western Blot test since I seem to have been symptomatic and was certainly previously exposed OR do you think I should leave well enough alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:54 pm 

Since I haven't seen your hubby's blood work - it's hard for me to know if he was properly tested or not. We will just assume that he was.

Your symptoms sound more like vaginitis than they do herpes. The best thing to do is - the next time you have them - go be seen by your doctor within 48 hours for a lesion culture and typing. You can also ask for the supplies to keep at home to do home pcr swabbing. It's literally wetting a sterile medical Q tip, swabbing the area of the symptoms along with sticking it up inside your vagina for 1 minute and then putting the swab in transport media and dropping it off at the clinic/lab. No herpes detected on the swab then you know that indeed you don't have herpes as your blood tests say you don't and you can move on. If you want to post the numerical values of your blood test I will gladly take a look at it for you too - ie hsv1 igg .34 and hsv2 igg . 23 or whatever they are.

betsy

Post subject: continued
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:19 pm 

Thank you for the very quick response!
The test I did was through tstd.com (used a local Quest Diagnostics Lab) and was told the test was Herpeselect.
I asked for a specific value but was told that they only know "positive" or "negative."
The actual report part I have a copy of states:
Herpes Simplex Type 1/2
Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Types I and II Specific Antibodies,IgG (QHO) HSV-1 aB IgG <0.90 <0.90 Result: NEGATIVE
HSV-2 aB IgG <0.90 <0.90 Result: NEGATIVE

I thought there would be a value of some sort too, but they stated the report comes to them as "positive" or "negative." I am not really sure why.

1)Do you think this was perhaps a problematic test? And also, I know the symptoms sound more like a vaginitis, but the tingling and cuts and the fact that they have recurred seemed a little suspect to me as I have seen others report only those type of symptoms. And assuming his test was correct, I have to be on the safe side. 2)If you think my recent test sounds valid enough, you would suggest still doing the swab type of test rather than the Western Blot to be more conclusive?

I guess I've just all along assumed I have it, so this is confusing to me. Your guidance is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:04 am 

No the test isn't problematic - I've spoken to the tstd folks before and they use the herpes select.

You did get values - <.9. Since it's clearly a negative result - not all labs give you the exact value less than .9.

I actually wouldn't even recommend going thru the WB unless you know you absolutely will not rest easy about this until you do. The herpes select is 98% accurate for hsv2 and 91% accurate for hsv1. Those are pretty darn accurate odds and you waited long enough for your test results to be accurate.

There are just soooooooo many things that can go wrong with us gals. Vaginitis is the most common. Even just dry vaginal skin from hormones and bc pills is another common one. Of course some of us are just delicate flowers too :) Next time you have your symptoms see your gyn and try to figure out what is going on - it's not very likely that they are due to herpes.

betsy

Post subject: Thank you very much
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:00 pm 

Thank you for your advice. I am very impressed with how quickly the responses came as well. Your board is very beneficial. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:20 pm 

I'm on vacation from my real job this week. The board is an excuse to keep me too busy to have time to tackle any cleaning jobs around the house...he he he Though really if anyone here loves to clean out cupboards and closets - I'll make you dinner if you come tackle my house!!!!

Good luck - I hope you get some answers and some relief soon! Also encourage your ex hubby to have his blood work re-evaluated too just to make sure he was properly tested. Unfortunately too many times practioners order the wrong blood test or have no idea what to do with the results when they do get them so it's never a bad idea to get a 2nd opinion.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]