ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:10 pm 

I'm dating a new guy who has genitial herpes, i have no idea if its type 1 or 2. I was tested a few weeks ago and the results were negative for both types. I would like to become intimate with him but a nervous reck. I'm 25 and he's 54 and I just don't know--if he does transmit it to me, if its something I'm ready to deal with for the rest of my life. He's was diagnosed over 26 years ago and has been taking suppresive medication for over 5 years.

I have a couple of questions for anyone that have had herpes for an extended amount of time...Does the virus weaken overtime after using medication and the body's immune system fighting the disease, making it less likely to transmit?

And does the carrier alway know when s/he is active or shedding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone who has had a succesful relationship with one negative and one positive partner. I'm so torn and nervous about the decision I'm about to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 am 

No antivirals do not lose their effectiveness over time.

Have you looked into the herpevac vaccine trials at all? You are in the age group that can participate in them - google them to learn more.

All my long term relationships have been where I"m hsv2+ and they are hsv2 -. Of course transmission rates to males are lower than that to females but so far all of my partners have remained hsv2- ( knocking on wood as I type this of course ). Even with the barest of precautions, you will always be more likely not to contract hsv2 from a partner than you are to contract it from them. The more precautions you take, the more the odds go in your favor.

Kudo's to you for taking the time to further educate yourself on herpes instead of just hearing herpes and thinking it's something you don't have to deal with and running the other way!! It's so much more common than most folks realize.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:10 am 

Betsy, you rock! Thanks so much for your advice. I've been calling the hotline for the past week and haven't gotten through. So your quick response was much appreciated.

Just a clarification-- I wanted to know if the virus itself tends to weaken overtime making it less likely to transmit to others versus a newly infected person? Has there been any evidence to support that?

Also, can a person tell if they are active even if there are no visible sores?

THanks for the guidance of the vaccine trial. I never heard of it before but googled it and found a clinic close by. I signed up to start participating next week :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:15 pm 

Just a clarification-- I wanted to know if the virus itself tends to weaken overtime making it less likely to transmit to others versus a newly infected person? Has there been any evidence to support that?

Unfortunately no. A recent study that hasn't been published yet on folks who have been hsv2+ for >10 years shows that we are still shedding at about the same rate as someone who has only been infected say 3 years is.

Your partner being on daily suppressive therapy and remembering to take it everyday will do a heck of a lot for you. In the valtrex and transmission study, the majority of the folks who transmitted the virus, didn't remember to take it daily :(

Glad you found a trial near you :) It's only showing about a 40% rate of reduction in transmission based on the phase 2 trials but it's still better than nothing. Combined with your partner on suppressive therapy and it really might tilt the odds in your favor ( should you get the actual vaccine of course ).

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]