ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:03 pm 

I was told yesterday that I have Herpes2. I have been married for 23 years and I had a one night stand back in July. I know.... I have not had sex with my husband since so he is safe. I contacted the man and he said he doesn't have it. :roll: RIGHT!

I am starting Valtex and will be using a condom from now on. The shock is over and now I am angry, depressed, moody, etc... I have not told my husband. I am so afraid I am going to get this stuff all over my skin and that scares me. I blame myself for this and it makes me sick. I know where I got it and I can't believe he is lying about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:24 pm 

How were you diagnosed as having hsv2? Did you have a lesion culture that says hsv2 or was it just assumed it's hsv2 because it's genital? You can also have hsv1 genitally and knowing your type is important.

The partner you had last month very well might not have any idea he's infected if he is. Studies have shown time after time after time that over 90% of those who are infected with hsv2 have no idea they have it until tested.

I encourage you to get your husband tested for herpes too - you might only think that it's a newly acquired infection. He'll need a type specific herpes igg blood test for hsv1 and hsv2.

Take the time to read the herpes handbook and watch the patient counseling video at www.westoverheights.com. Educate yourself on herpes , how to treat it and how to protect your husband if he's negative.

did the doctor prescribe antivirals for you? If so what and how much and for how long? The handbook goes into all of it in more detail and also offers suggestions for pain relief too.

Hang in there - it's a lot to handle right now I know. You don't have to worry about spreading herpes all over your body though - just wash your hands after using the bathroom or touching your genital area.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:34 pm 

Hi Betsy.
I went to my OB/GYN because there was burning and when I got up that morning there was a bump. He did the test and it was HVS2. He is not putting me on Valtrex every day. I forgot what he said it was for. You probably know. I do understand that this partner may not even be aware that he had it but I have made him aware. As for my husband, I don't think there is any chance he has it.

We have been married 23 years and he is crazy about me. I have not had sex with him since this other person. My outbreak was very mild and my doctor said usually the irst is the worst and that I may never have one again. I hope not. I am glad that I found this board. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:39 pm 

Just confirm that indeed it is hsv2 and not just that it came back as hsv and the doc assumed hsv2 because it's genital. Also did he put you on valtrex or another antiviral now to help speed healing of this one? And were you also tested for yeast and bacterial infections too?

Daily suppressive therapy would be helpful to reduce your husband's risk in HALF should he test negative for hsv2. If this is truly a newly acquired hsv2 infection for you then it's most active this first year so I would talk to your doctor again about starting suppressive therapy if your husband is in favor of it. It's probably a better option than using condoms this far into your marriage for the 2 of you I would guess.

Also did you get tested for all other std's just to cover all the bases?

besty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:44 pm 

I made him test for everything. I was on a antibiotic for a sinus infection when I went in. It looked like yeast under the microscope but when it was sent off it came back positive for hsv2. As for condoms in my marriage, it is no big deal. My husband has a problem lasting even with medication so we use them to help control him.

I think my doctor is using Valtrex to heal faster but he said if I wanted it daily to just let him know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 am 

Did he also treat you for yeast? If he saw yeast under the microscope then you probably have a yeast infection too that needs dealt with.

did he put you on valtrex 1gm twice a day for 10 days for the herpes so it heals faster?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:21 am 

Yes Betsy he did treat the yeast and put me on that amount of Valtrex for faster healing and said if I wanted to take it on a daily basis to just let him know. Should I do this? I am so confused right now and have no idea of what I am going to do. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:26 am 

That is a choice for you and your husband to make together. What does he have to say about all this?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:51 am 

I have not told him. I need to and I have no idea how I am going to tell him that I cheated and this is what happened. I think I would rather die. I am very emotional right now. :oops: :cry:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]