ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:29 pm 

I have been having a problem finding any research that gives the stastitic that would indicate what the chance is of somebody contracting genital herpes 2 FROM THE GENERAL POPULATION WITHOUT USING ANY PROTECTION. I am looking for the number out of 100 that would catch it in a year.
(I know the numbers of how many have it, how many don't know, what the chances are if you are using condoms with a infected person, the chances with an infected person using Valtrex and a condom and the chances using no protection with a infected person-these last 3 are assuming no sex during an outbreak.)

If anybody can help me with where to find it or what research has been done, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:50 pm 

Totally out of curiosity - why are you looking for this info?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:53 am 

A friend of mine is splitting up with his girlfriend because he is afraid of getting herpes, even when she is using valtrex as a supressive will use a condom. (I don't feel he really wants to use a condom at all). He feels it is safer to enter the the general population without protection and he will be safer. I told him what the tested stats for valtrex are but there are none that could be found for the question of him returning to the general population for better safety. We are just looking for the chances. They know the number of new cases per year, they should know the number of sexually active people and the average times per year, seems making a few assumptions they could come up with a reasonable estimate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 pm 

Suppressive therapy and condoms take the risk down to 1% each year for a male if the female has hsv2. If someone isn't aware that they are infected then the risk is much higher because they aren't avoiding sex during obvious symptoms and are much more likely to transmit the virus to a partner. A recent study even confirmed that a partner being aware of their hsv2 status reduced the odds of transmission. Since study after study has confirmed that over 90% of those infected with hsv2 have no idea until tested - that's a lot of folks having no idea they have herpes.

If your friend is afraid of herpes - then the best course of action isn't to try to figure out how likely he'd be to get it in general but to insist that all his future partners get full std testing, including herpes testing, prior to becoming intimate with them. Also has he been tested to know his hsv status? Knowing someone's status prior to being intimate with them is far more accurate than trying to decide the odds of contracting it in general.

I've just went thru a similar situation myself ( I'm assuming we aren't talking about the same man - wouldn't that be ironic? lol ). Even though in his head he knows the risk is too small - he just can't get over the idea of having genital herpes. He just feels that should he contract it from me he'd be too angry at me for the relationship to continue and he knows it would keep him from ever dating again due to fear of being rejected due to genital herpes. I"m not sure what your friends reasoning is for being afraid to be with someone with herpes who is doing all they can to reduce his risk but I think these are common reasons. And it is fearful. You have no idea what the future would be like and just how long you'd be with a partner before you'd contract it. You have no idea how often you'd get recurrences. You have no guarantees that any relationship will last either. However the reality is - 1 out of every 2 women he dates would be hsv1+. He's far more likely to contract hsv1 orally than he is hsv2 genitally. If he's hsv1 negative - he can also contract hsv1 genitally thru oral sex. ( btw the 1 out of 2 stat is just for oral hsv1 and doesn't include hsv1 genitally which is also quite common ). 1 out of every 4 women he dates statistically has hsv2 genitally whether they know it or not. He'll have hard time completely avoiding herpes no matter who he's dating.

So no I don't know the exact stats for what you've asked - I"ve just presented the facts such as they are. Yes indeed my answer is a little biased having had hsv2 myself for 21 years - I freely admit that. It's ok if you don't want to risk being intimately involved with someone with genital herpes - just make sure you are being responsible about your sex life in general if it's something you are afraid of contracting. It would be sad to think that someone threw away the chance to develop a very satisfying relationship with someone who had herpes only to contract it later on in a relationship that maybe wasn't so satisfying. Maybe that's just the romantic in me talking.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:09 pm 

I see HHH over on medhelp gave you similar advice though of course I was a heck of a lot more wordy than him as usual ;)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:03 pm 

Thank you for your responses, wordy or not!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]