ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:33 am 

The man I am 100% sure gave me this did get tested and he does have it. He thinks because his number was in the 4's he did not give it to me. His doctor said they have seen numbers as high as in the 20's. I have no idea what he is talking about but I know where I got the virus from and there is no doubt and he tested positive.

Why can't he just accept it? I know for a fact that he gave it to me. What do these numbers mean? :?: Thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 am 

Without seeing his results of course it's very hard for me to comment on them. His doctor saying that he's seen results as high as the 20's makes me wonder if he had a type specific test for herpes done. Usually results in the 20's are the non-type specific tests. If you can get him to show you a copy of his blood test results to see if there was 1 result for hsv1 and 1 result for hsv2 that would help you two figure out if he was properly tested or not.

I know this is WAY easier said than done but - the fact of the matter is - you can only control yourself. Since I think you are no longer intimately involved with this man - how he choses to deal with his results is his issue and not yours. If he wants to bury his head in the sand that's his choice. What's important is you know what you have and now it's up to you and your husband to deal with it. Have you talked to your husband at all yet about this? How's it going?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:29 am 

No Betsy I have not talked to my husband. :( This guy said his test result was a 4.9 and wanted to know what mine was. I guess he thinks they should match. I was never told my number. I guess it does not matter, I have it and I have to take my meds and use condoms.

He also said when he asked for medication they wanted to know why he wanted it when he has never had any problems.. GO FIGURE...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:54 am 

It's my understanding that you were diagnosed thru a lesion culture and not a blood test so you wouldn't have a numeric value - just a + or a - and which type it is. You've never had a blood test for herpes right?

If he had a 4.9 igg hsv2 result then he's positive and doesn' t need confirmatory testing - that is if he was properly tested in the first place. Like I said you'd have to confirm that it was a hsv2 igg that was that value.

So when are you going to sit and talk to your husband about all this? I'm sure he's starting to wonder why you are avoiding sex like the plague?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:02 am 

You are right, I didn't have a blood test. My OB/GYN sent a sample off so I guess I don't get a number. I am trying to decide how to tell my husband. So what does it mean if someone is 4.9 as to say 19.2? I just made that number up because I don't know what I am talking about. It is just a example.

Could it be because one is active at the time and one is not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:10 pm 

Well as long as the numeric value is over 3.5 - it just means it's definitely positive and not much more. The igg doesn't reflect active ob's - just the body's reaction to being infected.

www.herpesdiagnosis.com is a terrific site that has loads of info about the blood tests and how to get tested for herpes if you want to learn more about testing ( or a cure for insomnia...he he he ).

From the been there, done that files - talking to a partner about infidelity just isn't easy even when there isn't a std involved. Wish I had some good advice to give you but I don't think there's really any way to do it other than to be open and honest about it. Big hugs honey.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]