ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 pm 

I am broken. I have never been with any other man than my husband. He recently disclosed to having sex with more women than he could count in the last ten years of our sixteen year marriage. (We have been separated for the last year.) He said, "not to worry about his past actions, he hadn't given me anything". I didn't trust him, and won't ever again. I went to get tested. My dr said these results could have even come from non-sexual contact, like from being at the gym, and that it happened a long time ago. She also said that since my one test was negative, we never would have known if the lab hadn't inadvertantly run the more sensitive test. She doesn't want to see me in the office unless I have an outbreak and just shouldn't worry about something I shouldn't have known in the first place.

Here are my labs results:

HSV IgM I/II combination - less than .91 - I know this test was nonsense from the other postings.

HSV I/II IgG Rflx I-II Type Sp HSV I/II IgG - less than .8
(this is where the doc said I was fine until the lab ran the next test)

HSV Type 1 specific Ab, IgG HSV I IgG, Type spec - less than .9

HSV Type 2-Specific Ab, IgG HSW II IgG, Type Spec - 2.6 High

HCV Ab w/Rflx to RIBA HCV Ab - 0.2

RPR non reactive

HBsAg screen negative

The tests were done at LabCorp.

I've read the posts, went to the westover heights website and read and watched the dvd in the seven hours since my doc called. My brain is swimming with info. I don't know if the line of what I thought were bug bites on my upper thigh two years ago were an outbreak, or if a recent ingrown hair was, or just irritation is really an outbreak. Nothing is clear anymore. I am terrified at the thought of somehow giving this to my precious, beautiful little girls, as I am their only parent, as he has disappeared into the sunset with his Harley. I thought his debts and lack of child support would be my greatest hurdle.

I appreciate any clarity you can provide.

Signed,
The Broken Soon to be Divorced Christian Wife

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 am 

I guess your doctor is trying to down play this so that you don't obsess over it but I really have to disagree with the advice you were given :( I"m glad you've been doing reading on your own and are getting more accurate info about herpes!! Also you did not get herpes from the gym or any non-sexual contact!!!! Your doctor is very wrong about that one!!

You do not have to worry about transmitting the virus to your children. It won't be transmitted thru sharing soap, toilets or the laundry or anything like that. basically unless you are naked and being intimate with someone - it's not an issue. It's transmitted thru direct skin on skin contact with the genital area which isn't something that happens between parents and their children. Everyone in a household should have their own towel, washcloth, toothbrush and razor - for reasons far beyond just herpes. Other germs are far more easily spread thru sharing them so it should be avoided.

Let us know how else we can help you :)

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 pm 

Betsy,

I thank God for your wisdom and knowledge. I can't find any information on why the one test - HSV I/II IgG Rflx I-II Type Sp HSV I/II IgG came back as negative but the HSV Type 2 Specific Ab, IgG HSV II-IgG type spec came back as positive?

I thought the IgG tests were accurate, but why these seemingly conflicting results?

With my children I will take extra care to be sure we don't share towels or anything else. I am thankful that they are no longer babies.

I thank you in advance for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 pm 

The default herpes blood test by lab corp is not type specific. It also has a low sensitivity rate for detecting herpes in general. Usually the type specific test they use is the herpes select which has a higher rate of sensitivity and specificity ( that means it's more likely to not only detect herpes - it's more likely to detect which type it is accurately ). Your doctor should get out of the habit of just ordering the non-type specific test - it's really a waste of time and money for patients :(

If you really want peace of mind - repeat your blood test just to err on the side of caution. Make sure your doctor order only the herpes select igg for hsv1 and hsv2 this time - test # 164905 .

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:37 pm 

Forget peace of mind. Would these tests show whether I have a current outbreak? Now I'm thinking every twinge or other sensation is an outbreak. I don't want to be the neurotic going in for cultures every other day.

I need to start by finding a doctor who knows what she's talking about too. I got a name from the westover website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:56 pm 

No there is not a blood test that shows if you are currently having an ob or not.

I know right now you are probably getting out the magnifying mirror and the professional grade spotlight about 10 times a day and looking at your genital area very intently but basically there's no reason to do that. You've most likely had genital herpes for at least a year or so from the sounds of things ( not sure how "friendly" you two have been while seperated ). Maybe in time you'll start noticing patterns to certain symptoms - for instance perhaps you think you have a vaginitis 2 or 3 times a year that you self treat and it goes away - maybe that was really herpes. Or perhaps you'll notice that you seem to get anal itching/pain for 3 or 4 days at a time every couple of months that might actually be herpes. Or even you'll notice that you thought before you were getting red, tender areas from sex that now you'll realize really aren't just from a "good" night with your partner. Try not to obsess about it. on average ob's are 4 to 6 times a year - they aren't happening all the time. Probably in time you'll get better at figuring what is and what isn't due to herpes.

Yeah I know that is just so much easier said than done.

betsy

Post subject: confused again
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:20 pm 

Now I'm confused again, as I spend too much time trying to learn more. I another post you replied something about if the HSV type II specific was less than 3 that it might be a false positive. My score was 2. something. Is my hope hanging on a thread? If it were a false positive, would the next test come out with no antibodies?

I haven't had any physical contact with my husband for over a year, (or any other man ever).

Secondly, regarding autoinoculation, if the virus can transfer from one spot to another on an infected person, what would prevent it from transferring to a non-sexual part on another person? I have learned that my dad, who visited us last year, is HSV2. Could somehow he had spread the virus to me from an autoinoculation spot, like from a "bug bite" on his leg, in a non-sexual way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:10 pm 

The score was 2.6. (less than 3.5).

Also, would it be reasonable to expect the score to increase with time, as antibodies build in response to outbreaks?

Are the antibodies passed through breastmilk?

There are so many questions! I appreciate your knowledge and dedication to helping so many hurting souls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:12 pm 

You can retest if you want - that's why I gave you the test number to ask for . Your hsv1 was negative so the chances of your result being falsely positive are lower ( it's the hsv1 infections that tend to cause the false positives ) which is why I didn't specifically recomend you retest automatically. If your new doctor uses quest labs then you would want the herpes inhibition assay test # 17170. Has your ex gotten tested at all yet?

As for antibodies to increase over time - not everyone gets results over 3.5 which is why it's technically + if you test 1.1 or over. My own results were only 3.3 if I recall and that was 21 years into being infected. Results will vary a lot but studies have found that the highest risk of false positives is in folks with hsv1 previously and a hsv2 result less than 3.5. Clear as mud right?

You passed on the most protective antibodies against herpes during pregnancy. Of course you always pass on protective antibodies in general when breast feeding which is why it's best :)

No your father didn't transmit hsv2 to you from a surface or from touching leg to leg or anything like that. It just isn't that easy to transmit thankfully. It also takes heat and friction to transmit the virus which usually doesn't happen with casual contact.

Yes I know it's hard to imagine that you've been potentially walking around with genital herpes for at least a year and never knew it. It really is more of a common scenerio than having very obvious lesions and knowing you are infected.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:38 pm 

I doubt my soon to be ex has gone for actual testing, in spite of reassuring me he was clean when he wanted to slither back home. (Of course I didn't let him come home.) Now I can't locate him to serve him papers, nonetheless tell him of this development of his adulterous actions.

My doctor's appointment Tues is with the clinic that Westover Heights recommended, even though the practitioner listed on the website is gone. I don't know if Labcorp is Quest laboratories, or if my insurance company covers Quest, but I am willing to pay for information to move forward with my life.

Thank you for helping me to see that I am not risking my kids health by simply being their mom and that this disease couldn't have come from anywhere but from my intimate relations with my husband.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]