ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Really Scared
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:53 pm 

I am seriously worried about possibly having HSV2. I know there's no way to diagnose online, but it would ease my mind just a bit to hear from someone with HSV knowledge what the following symptoms might be. For a couple years, I've had constant daily vaginal itching and an occasional pinching feeling as well. I did take a test back around 2002 to try to determine what the problem was, and they told me that I didn't have chlamydia or gonnorhea and they swabbed a sore I had on my pubic area to dertermine whether it was herpes, which the gynocologist determined it wasn't, but they did say I had a urinary tract infection, but I can't imagine that a uti would cause such discomfort after all this time. so Ive been living with this, and it's driving me crazy. What do you think it might be? I'm planning on going to Planned Parenthood next week to get anothe herpes test, but I'm nervous.

Post subject: Re: Really Scared
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi Flowergirl,

Wow. It sounds like you've had a rough time with this. I'll try to offer some useful information. First, you're right. It is nearly impossible for anyone to diagnose anything over the internet or the phone but I can address most of your other questions.

The swab test on the lesion can be a good diagnostic tool when all the conditions are ripe - like if the sore is fairly new and has enough fluid to test. However, once it has started to heal over, it's easy to get a false negative because there may not have been enough fluid.

You said they swabbed your pubic area which is leading me to believe there wasn't a specific lesion to swab? You may want to ask your doctor or Planned Parenthood about an Igg or other blood tests for herpes to rule it out.

Did the doctor prescribe an antibiotic for the UTI? If they did and you took the entire bottle, the UTI should have cleared up. If it persists, it's a good idea to let your doctor know about it.

Also, HSV isn't what we would describe as persistent. It usually goes away and comes back when someone has a new outbreak. If you're dealing with something that has started and not gone away over a long period of time, your doctor may need to spend some time with you and rule out everything - not just sexually transmitted infections.

I hope this helps.

Dharma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:42 am 

I'm totally with Dharma - find a gyn who will listen to you and work hard to find out what is going on. It could be a combination of things or just one thing. You need a further work up. Itching every day is not herpes and it's not normal.

At this point for peace of mind - ask for a type specific herpes igg blood test for hsv1 and hsv2. You don't have to wait until you have an actual lesion to get tested.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:46 pm 

Well, when I got my test before, as I recall (sorry been 5 years) they did swab a lesion, because I made it a point to go get it checked out when there was a lesion to look at, because I' d heard about that being the best time to test. I read on another board about people who've bben diagnosed and had constant outbreaks, and I've read about herpes not always being consistent as far as symptoms, so is there actually a chance that could be true in my case? Also, I do sometimes have tingling, but that's constant as well, so I don't know what to think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:35 pm 

You don't have constant ob's with genital herpes. Usually folks who think they are - just aren't getting the proper medical care from their doctors. I'm one of those folks who is the exception to the rule - I get loads of ob's. Even when I was getting 2 a month - I still had distinct periods of relief in between ob's. You most likely have something else going on - even if you do have genital herpes. Herpes certainly is not the only thing that can cause us gals issues down yonder. There are many, many other things that can cause us discomfort too. http://www.med.umich.edu/obgyn/vulva/vulvodyn.htm is a website I like because it go over just how many other things are common causes of issues in us gals. Don't get stuck in the "it must be herpes" mind frame.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:52 pm 

Thanks everyone for your responses, and Betsy I will definitely check out that website. One of my greatest concerns is that if I do turn out to have HSV that my relationship will end because it'll be too difficult to maintain a healthy, decent sex life without my boyfriend worying about me transmitting HSV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:04 pm 

Your bf will need tested too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]